help wanted

buddy

Road Burner
Looking to upgrade my beemer,was thinking along the lines of a superchip and performance air filter,would it be worth the expense and would it make a noticeable difference?any sensible ideas would be welcome.....

Hi Buddy. A chip will not help much with a non turbo car but it will remove the limiter that forces you to stay below 130 - not that you can ever use that on the public roads. A performance air filter is a good idea - make sure it has a feed of cold air from the outside though as the under bonnet temperatures get high enough to rob you of some power. Lightening the car will also help.

Lightweight alloy wheels and ultra low profile tyres. A carbon fibre bonnet would look good and save many KG's in weight. Nitrous would be a fun addition. If you want to get your hands dirty a new camshaft - just a fast road model will also lift performance to new levels for you.

I hope I have raised many questions here - so ask away!!!

hiya waynne,yea i think the performance air filter would be good,as for nitrous, does that not cost a fortune cause you need to get more and more?as for the camshaft i havent a clue what that is,is it something to do with the valves?remember girlie with no clue about cars. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nitrous is one of the easist big power mods to do but as you say it does come with a hidden cost. You need to save it for special occasions rather than just for overtaking tractors!

The cam is to do with the valves - see you do know stuff :D After a while with us lot you'll know even more :shock: ! The valves let the air and fuel into the engine and also expel the leftovers into the exhaust. A different cam leaves the valves open a fraction longer which means more air & fuel in the engine and this gives more power. The more extreme you go the more trouble you will have with idling as motorsport cams are designed to run at 3000 revs or higher and this is just not practical in an everyday runaround. Instead look at a fast road cam - see our article on cams for a bit more of an explanation. http://www.torquecars.co.uk/Tuning/cam-shafts.php also this engine screen saver gives a really good idea of how a petrol engine works particularly the end bit http://feerc.ornl.gov/video/index.shtml 8)

To this end....

On this note, how much does a fast-road-cam cost including fitting? Just wondering as i think that might be a very good mod for mine. That and alloys and an exhaust. Can't go too mental straight away. Can't wait for my insurance to plummet next year. Unfortunately i've got a whole year of insurance to go before that. :evil: