help wanted please

M

matt7

I have a 91 gto twin turbo which has recently developed a few problems at around the same time.
First the revs quickly rise under moderate to hard acceleration without it going any faster, then it quickly settles down and accelerates normally.
Next the power steering started occasionally cutting out. This first happened after I hit a deep puddle quite fast on one side.
Finally after starting it seemed to suffer some sort of misfire and ran really sputtery and lumpy and struggled to rev. However I tried it a few days later and it ran normally.
I would really appreciate any help.

Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars My Friend! :)

Unable to help you with this particular problem, but I am quite sure somebody will be along with the answers very shortly.

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

The revving does sound like the clutch is about to give way but these GTO's are if IIRC run most things through the ecu so i'd go through all the earths as a start.

think steering pump is under driverside wheel arch bitch to get to 2 people really as you are blind if you can get one a borescope (unlikely) you might of damaged a sensor etc

The power steering pump is at the rear of the engine, driven via a belt from the crank pulley. The pump hidden away at the front of the drivers side wheel arch is the ABS pump, you will see it from inside the engine bay, next to the main fuse box, it has brake pipes coming from it.
Your faults; These ar possibilities, without driving the car i could never give you an exact diagnosis. It does sound as if the clutch is slipping, or it could be the output shaft from the gearbox to transfer box on the way out.
Power steering cutting out after driving though a deep puddle, check the power steering belt for tension.
Misfire/splutter etc, normally a sign of deteriorating capacitors in the ECU but could be many things, worn spark plugs or HT Leads, etc. To give proper help with so little information is very speculative.