help re dent repair

Wherabouts is it. Front and rear bumpers are plastic but there is a load of impact resistant/sound deadening foam which makes repairs harder.

Is the plastic painted to the cars colour or just raw? If raw I don't think an invisible repair would be possible.

Drill a small hole, pull out the dent, you may need to inject some filler behind the hole (keeping tension on the pulling of the dent - a screw in a piece of wood is probably enough and will allow the filler to harden).

Use a hot air gun to soften the plastic, most plastics have a memory and will pop out but there is a risk of scortching or melting causing a bigger problem.

:cry: I scratched the inside of my door pannell a few months ago. I have only once taken something in my baby, and it scratched the plastic door pannell. Am going to have to buy a new one. :sad2:

Hi,
The dent is quite a small one caused by the top of the arch hitting a small wall. Let us imagine a clockface and the dint is just after 12 -1. the scratches are nearer to the bottom of the arch.
I used a hairdryer with two strips of thin wood front & rear of panel with a G clamp to press together. You are suggesting a hot air gun. This is,of course; much hotter than a dryer!!?? I have to say that my initial efforts has brought the dint back somewhat but there is still a slight indentation on arch. We CAN live with it rather than make a mess of it. You need to be V close to see any damage and once the scratches have been buffed, painted & laquered it should be fine. I WILL look into your suggestion and say thanks. There seems to be NO reinforcement as it is at the extreme edge of the arch (above wheel). I know what you mean re the foam in bumpers. Guess that is why replacements cost upwards of £200 Before paint matching!!!!!!!
Thanks again:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Wherabouts is it. Front and rear bumpers are plastic but there is a load of impact resistant/sound deadening foam which makes repairs harder.

Is the plastic painted to the cars colour or just raw? If raw I don't think an invisible repair would be possible.

Drill a small hole, pull out the dent, you may need to inject some filler behind the hole (keeping tension on the pulling of the dent - a screw in a piece of wood is probably enough and will allow the filler to harden).

Use a hot air gun to soften the plastic, most plastics have a memory and will pop out but there is a risk of scortching or melting causing a bigger problem.

If it is not too bad I'd leave well alone, the amount of times I've ruined something by trying to be a perfectionist. You could leave the clamp in place for a while I suppose, the longer the better.

Joe - interior plastic is really hard to fix, sometimes you can lightly sand down the scratches but even then on most plastics it is still pretty obvious. Your best bet is to keep an eye on breakers yards and see if you can get a replacement panel.