Help, please. Any idea what this is?

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I have now stripped 4 Sierra Cosworths and this is the first time I have come across one of these. Can't find it in the manual and had removed everthing from the engine bay before I noticed it and can't remember where the pipes went. It was hiding between the front bumper and near side inner wing dirt shield. It contained water so I assume it has a cooling function. It measures 280mm x 185mm x 20mm.

Any ideas?

I'd guess aftermarket oil cooler at first but you say it had water in it and they usually have screw-on connections. Sure it was water? Gearbox oil cooler?

It wasn't connected to gearbox.
No aircon.
It looked like water, flowed like water and felt like water but I didn't taste it :)
Not thick enough to be an oil cooler and, as you say, they have screw connectors.

Smells of rusty antifreeze.

Last edited:
What Bhp did the car have?
Prob a second radiator as said to aid cooling.

Chipped to 270. There is not usually any overheasting issues at this level. With the inlet and outlet pipes being only 3/16" ID, it wouldn't have been very efficient anyway.

any idea whether the cossie has ever had a charge cooler? they use a separate rad dont they??

Yes, they do, but nothing like this. I should have checked where the pipes went to but didn't know it was there until I removed the inner wing dirt shields :)