help on caliper painting.

kayleigh1199

hi, i need help:lol:
im gonna paint my brake calipers but they say wait 24 hours before driving after painting them.
do i have to wait that long or can i put them on about 18-20 hours as i need to go some where the next day.

and is it ok to paint the back brum?

thanks.
thanks.
thanks.
xxxxxXXXXXxxxxx

i take it you mean the rear drum ?? not brum. then yeah its safe.

have you already bought the paint ??if not a tin of hammerrite will do it as well and prob dry alot quicker as well as being lot cheaper. just remember to use a few coats.

if you do it first thing one morning say around 8 - 9 ish for the 1st coat ( remember and wire brush an use brake cleaner to remove any rust etc so the paint can stick better ) another around 12 - 1 ish and then another around 3 then the paint should be dry and cured by morning.

dont know about the proper brake paint as its normally heavily overpriced

Avoid heavy braking at first to avoid excessive heat build up and if you leave it overnight you should get away with it. Preparation is vital, any dirt or grime will cause the new paint to flake off. What colour are you doing?

Welcome to TorqueCars, nice to have you along.

kayleigh i painted mine and drove it within the hour just a simple red hamerite did the job just be carefull what you paint not the back of the brake pads they will stick otherwise and drums is all safe but dont paint or let paint get inside where the shoes are

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,
I BROUGHT TRILLOGY SAVAGE RED CALIPER PAINT IT WAS £25 WAY TO MUCH:mad:
ANY WAY I TOKE THEM ALL OFF THEN I SPRAYED THE BRAKE CLEANER ON AND THEN SCRUBED AND SCRUBED AND GOT ALL THE S**T OFF BUT IT WAS STILL A LITTLE OILY AND DUSTY BUT COZ IM THICK I LEFT IT AND STARTED TO PAINT.
THAT WAS AT ABOUT 2 OCLOCK YESTERDAY THEN ANOTHER COAT AT 6 OCLOCK THEN I LEFT IT OVER NIGHT AND THEY WAS DRY BUT THEY FELT STICKY ABIT,
SO I PUT THEM ON THE CAR AND BLEED THE BRAKES.
THEY LOOK OK BUT NOT AS GOOD AS I THOUGHT THEY WOULD LOOK,
I THINK YOU SHOULDENT RUSH WHEN YOUR DOING IT TAKE YOUR TIME.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.:p:):p

keep an eye on them. the oil will not allow the paint to stick to the metal.

next time you do it make sure you remove all traces oil using brake cleaner of even a degreaser DONT GET THIS ON THE RUBBER HOSES OR SEALS ON THE CALIPERS AS IT MAY DISOLVE THE RUBBER

it wasent really oily but in some places it was really clean and in other parts it was like dust that was not coming off