Help Needed

leeultima

Car
Ultima GTR
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and looking for help with my new stereo/speaker setup.

Having just had my kit car through IVA I have now added a stereo and speakers but cannot get any sound what so ever from the speakers. My set up is a Kenwood dnx4230 head unit, Carpower HBP-602 amp, 2 CDN-2x Crossovers, 2 Predator 6/4 speakers.

I have wired everything up as per the guide that came with the amp and I’ve checked all connections + - and used a voltmeter to check all cables. The sequence of wiring is, Audio leads from stereo to Amp, speaker cable to each crossover then cable to speakers and tweeters. I don’t know what else I should check or do as my limits have been reached when it comes to stereos/electrics so and help would be much appreciated.

Lee.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Try the basics first and double check any switches on the amp, you may have the source switch incorrectly selected or the mode select switch set at the wrong position. Also double check the remote switch voltage cable that runs from the stereo to the amplifier, sometimes coloured blue, this is usually a tap off from the electric aerial. It is this that actually turns the power on to the amplifier - so you will have the big main +12volt supply coming from either the ignition or direct from the battery, and the smaller +12volt cable from the remote supply that switches the main supply on inside the amplifier.
Warning!! make sure the stereo volume is only up a little way before you move anything.

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome :D

All cables checked and working, Amp turns on once stereo is on. The Amp only has 2 switches and I've switched both to see if it made any difference and it did not :sad2: but by moving the switches I could here both speakers and both tweeters crackle but not very loud.

Double check the stereo unit menu in case you have to select audio output via the line level ie the audio phono sockets. Also look at the fader setting as you will be using just the phono sockets instead of the high level speaker outputs therefore the fader might need to be set to front only.
I am only scratching here as I am unfamiliar with the models mentioned, but I have experienced similar issues with passed projects of old. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on modern day car audio systems might be able to point you in the right direction if they read this thread.

Double check the stereo unit menu in case you have to select audio output via the line level ie the audio phono sockets. Also look at the fader setting as you will be using just the phono sockets instead of the high level speaker outputs therefore the fader might need to be set to front only.
I am only scratching here as I am unfamiliar with the models mentioned, but I have experienced similar issues with passed projects of old. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on modern day car audio systems might be able to point you in the right direction if they read this thread.

I will give your suggestions a go and see what happens, my feeling is i'm going to have to get another Amp and see if this makes any difference.

Also, not sure where exactly you bought the amp from and where the manual is, but if the manual is to hand then double check the back pages as many have a troubleshoot page to help you with the regular mistakes made by DIY enthusiasts.

Just reread a section of your post "but by moving the switches I could here both speakers and both tweeters crackle but not very loud."

It is entirely possible that you have confused the rear and front speaker cabling by crossing them back to front. To prove this, get hold of a AA or AAA battery. Remove the speaker cable pairs one at a time for example left front or left rear. With the cable polarity observed, put the + cable of the speaker on to the + of the battery and the - of the speaker cable onto the - of the battery.

You should hear a thud or your speaker will make a noise and the speaker cone will move (This will NOT damage your speaker).
If you hear nothing from each speaker set tested then your cabling is incorrect.

Last edited:
so remove speaker cable from the Amp side and test with battery? also keeping the cables going through the crossover to the speaker and tweeter?

If all speakers are running through the crossovers first then this is where you need to "disconnect" the speaker cables and connect the battery onto the ends of the cable.

If you hear nothing on the speaker then you have mixed up your cables. If you hear nothing, then use one cable at a time ie a green cable marked + then try all the other cables marked - until you hear a noise, when you do hear a noise this means that you have found a speaker. Now mark it front left or right etc depending on where you heard the noise coming from. Slowly work your way around the rest of the wires using the same technique until you have accounted for all the speakers.

looks like the wiring is all ok, connected the battery to the L side first then R side, both sides gave the same response with thud from speaker with movement

Well that's good news anyway. I am running out of ideas :confused:

Is the crossover an active unit or a passive one? IE does the crossover require power to function or not? If so do you have power at the unit and are all fuses intact on the unit?

Did the amplifier have that manual I mentioned? If not try going online to find the manufacturers support page and download the manual to see if there is a troubleshoot page to help you further.

:bigsmile: Well! so i thought i would hook the Amp up in my other car using different cables and all worked fine.

Long story short, turns out the the RCAs i was using which are new but never been used have corroded on all 4 ends, i unscrewed all of them and found the centre wire corroded from the solder of the plug :confused: I can only think moisture has done this as they have been sat doing nothing in garage for a couple of years :sad2:

Thanks for all the help guys, I just need tips for setting up the Amp now i.e. I have the mode switch to stereo, crossover switched to full which i guess makes the LP and HP filter dials redundant? as turning them i cannot hear any difference when switched is set on full. The other 2 dials are the bass eq and level dial, what is best as in stereo turned up high and only turn the Amp level dial a little? or other way round?

Firstly, good news and well done to TN for cracking that one ;)

I would suggest having the bass eq on a mid setting and the level on low. Depending on the type of music you listen too and more importantly the quality of your speakers, you will be able to gauge it better if you need to increase the bass or not. Keep the amplifier on a mid power level first and drive it through the stereo volume. This will reduce the chances of the amp picking up interference or causing feedback, again this will depend on the quality of your amplifier electronics. Only if you feel the sound requires more then slowly increase the amp level, but remember to experiment with any preset equaliser settings first i.e. Jazz, Rock, Reggae, Pop etc as these dramatically alter the sound, so go through these first before moving any output levels.

Also, remember that your speakers are new and will need to bed-in a little before they start to warm up and stretch which will again alter the sound a tad. Depending on your usage this might take a couple of weeks or so, again this is down to the quality of speakers purchased as to the end sound result.

Firstly, good news and well done to TN for cracking that one ;)

I would suggest having the bass eq on a mid setting and the level on low. Depending on the type of music you listen too and more importantly the quality of your speakers, you will be able to gauge it better if you need to increase the bass or not. Keep the amplifier on a mid power level first and drive it through the stereo volume. This will reduce the chances of the amp picking up interference or causing feedback, again this will depend on the quality of your amplifier electronics. Only if you feel the sound requires more then slowly increase the amp level, but remember to experiment with any preset equaliser settings first i.e. Jazz, Rock, Reggae, Pop etc as these dramatically alter the sound, so go through these first before moving any output levels.

Also, remember that your speakers are new and will need to bed-in a little before they start to warm up and stretch which will again alter the sound a tad. Depending on your usage this might take a couple of weeks or so, again this is down to the quality of speakers purchased as to the end sound result.

All sorted thanks, I have found the sweet spot for my hearing :razz: