help me please :))

scotthorwell

Car
honda accord 1.8i
i own a 2002 accord 1.8i vtec and want to fit an induction kit but cant seem to find one. all the kits i have seen are for the 2.0i upwards. and dont fancy fitting a universal one as ive heard these wont make any difference and i would have to heavily mod it to fit, can anyone help me pllleeeeaaaaasssseeeee.

if your struggling to find one then make one. most kits are over priced for what they are.

silicone tubing, alu / stainless pipe and filter on the end.

youll not see much increase in power anyway really maybe 3-5bhp if your lucky

if i make one, could i lose any hp? im not really bothered about hp but what i hope to improve is the low end torque ie my car has no pulling power say when i go over a speed hump in second i usually have to drop inti first to get the car going again.

realisticaly most induction / cold air kits normally lost low down torque (all to do with the relationship between hp and lbft ) and gain higher bhp. hondas generally have very power torque due to the high rev range and the vtec as well.

what sort or revs are you on about ? could be your gearing

that explains a lot as to why i have very little power under 3000 rpm but when you get to around 4500 rpm it suddenly comes to life.

Accords and Hondas in general have very little grunt in the lower rev range, it makes me very sad :( On the upside, they certainly make up for it from 4k onwards.

If you gimme your engine code I can keep an eye out for induction kits for you.

I'm pretty sure K&N have a panel filter for your application though, so unless you are planning on running a cold air feed from the wheel well you would most likely get better gains from that as opposed to a short ram induction kit, sucking in all that nasty hot air from your engine bay.

Got any piccies?

hey thanks for that my engine code is F18B2E4O7193. I reluctantly purchased a universal cold air induction kit yesterday but am still not sure if i will fit it yet. I have got some pics but havn't worked out how to post them yet.

AEM do a CAI (Cold Air Intake) for '98 to '02 4 cylinder Accords.

Part number is 21-415

Comes in Blue, Red, Silver or Polished.

Not cheap at roughly £200.

This is probably not the only application, just took a shot and came up with a well known brand.

When searching for parts, it helps to use your engine code, which is F18B2.

I think F is the block, 18 stands for the displacement and B2 is the type of head.

Also search for your year range which is 98-02.

You will find a lot of items I've no doubt. Make sure you join forums for Honda Enthusiasts and for your specific Accord, which is a 6th gen. You'll have more luck with American forums as Accords are very popular over there. Not all the information will carry over but you will learn a lot.

Have fun!

By the way, my first accord I found myself with a poorly fitting K&N induction kit. After the mechanic had no clue how to fit it, it stayed in the box and I just drilled the stock airbox lol

A lot of it is trial and error. You will find out fast that there aren't as many parts for Accords as there are for things like Civics. You could probably fill a Tesco with off the shelf Civic parts.

However your hunting will pay off and it's satisfying when you find a tasty item for your car. I'll keep an eye out for other bits when I'm searching for myself and PM you the info.

thanks a lot all info will be greatly welcome, as like what you say parts are hard to find. wouldnt mind some angel lights too but have not managed to find any as yet. But my search continues.

Ebay USA will be a good place for Accord headlights. Particularly angel eyes.

Just make sure you check the feedback before you buy and be prepared for a less than perfect fit. However this will only be noticeable under close scrutinisation.

well thanks for all the info and advice guys :), just another quick question, does anyone know what the maximum size wheel i could put on?, i roll on 18s at the moment with 225- 40- 18 tyres but they rub when i hit bumps and when i have got people in the back, and its bloody annoying lol.

id say 18 would possible be the max

have you lowered the suspension ? if so raise it up a bit (coilovers that is))
if not then look towards stiffer springs and/or some arch work

the suspension is stock, i think where i went wrong is the tyre choice i put 225-40-18s on but origionally they were 225-35-18s which, when , fitted i could get in and sleep in the arches( i bought the wheels second hand so i never had the chance to see what the 35s were like as they had perished) so i decided to fit the other to fill the gap a bit. i have been told that a coil over kit would only lower the car and not stop any rubbing. and as for stiffer springs, where would the best place to get them from? i have heard that there is a website where you can get some custom made but for the life of me i cant remember the website

yeah most coilovers would drop it slightly more however have more adjustability in them than the standard springs.
not sure on where to get the stiffer springs. how old are the springs that are on it the now ? they may have sagged slightly with age.

Just a guess, but I think 205/55's are most likely the ideal tyre size. 215's maybe the max you wanna go.

Like was mentioned before, stiffer springs are a must plus a slimming world membership for your passengers ;)

My old Accord had 215/35/18's riding on H&R coilovers and it would still almost bottom out with passengers.

the springs are 7 years old, im gonna try some 215 35 18 tyres before i make a decision about springs or coilovers. i fitted the induction kit yesterday and what a difference, get to 4000 rpm and the noise is incredible. loving it lol.