Help & advice-buying a 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE 2.5 CRD Sport 5dr Sw Diesel

H

HPea

Hi All
Am going to look at a 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE 2.5 CRD Sport 5dr Sw Diesel tomorrow as need to buy a 4x4 for winter months for work. I haven't owned a 4x4 before, currently have a Honda estate, but need to be able to get to work through winter months as am self employed want to be as sorted as poss in case of snow!
I was wondering what they are like re fuel consumption...are they really thirsty? And also I've been advised to ask whether they have a cam belt or cam chain. Owner is asking £3.6k, 72k miles, FSH, taxed & Mot for another 10 months.
Any advice as to what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Don't know about Jeeps sorry mate. I know they are good for what you need it for, but they are heavy on the fuel. That I do know. I have been thinking about a project for some time now, just need the ''disposable'' cash to make it happen. I was looking at the wrangler, but purely for a toy. If I was buying a 4X4 for ever day use, Id either go LandRover Disco, or a miti shogun. Purely because I know about them and spares are dirt cheep.

Jeeps do hold there value after they take the innital 5 year plummet. FSH, should be good. It will inform you of the belt changes in that.

Jeeps are fine, a petrol one can be heavy one fuel but the diesels are great, the 2.8 engine is best for economy.