Hello

WillGriffiths

Car
Mini F54 JCW
hi

I’m new to tinkering with cars so have joined the forums for the excellent knowledge and experience of existing users.

My daily driver is a Mini F54 JCW with Remus catback exhaust, Pipercross filter, Remus responder pedal tune and ECU remap which will be lowered a little in the next couple of weeks.

W

Hi and welcome Will |B

You will find plenty of helpful people here that have 1st hand knowledge and who are willing to share.|B

Sounds like you have already tweaked your Mini so it should get along quite briskly now BUT you can add a bit more by having the factory dump pipe from the turbine replaced with a larger diameter MANDREL BENT pipe along with a sports cat that will allow the turbo to spool up faster as the only back pressure in a turbo powered car should be the turbine housing.

PS I assumed that the JCW is turbo powered ??

Hi and welcome Will |B

You will find plenty of helpful people here that have 1st hand knowledge and who are willing to share.|B

Sounds like you have already tweaked your Mini so it should get along quite briskly now BUT you can add a bit more by having the factory dump pipe from the turbine replaced with a larger diameter MANDREL BENT pipe along with a sports cat that will allow the turbo to spool up faster as the only back pressure in a turbo powered car should be the turbine housing.

PS I assumed that the JCW is turbo powered ??

Thank you for the welcome and suggestion

The JCW certainly is turbo ... I’ve not heard of your bigger pipe and sportscat mod... sounds like a winner - tell me more

Will the sports cat flows a lot better as it has a lower cell count = bigger holes and is less restrictive.

Regardless of the turbine outlet size I would recommend a 2.5 inch turbo dump for a 1600cc and a 3 inch for a 2000cc motor.

The car in my pic was dynoed before with the stock exhaust and after fitting a 3 inch complete exhaust system the same day and IIRC there was a 15% improvement in HP and TQ

I also recommend thatyou fit a straight thru hot dog type resonator midway to prevent booming and a larger straight thru rear muffler for the best result.

Warning DO NOT fit any muffler that has louvres in it as they restrict flow get the ones with perforated holes only,.
Check by holding up and looking thru to be sure.

PS the best free flowing exhaust has mandrel bends|B that DO NOT reduce the internal diameter like press bends do\B.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin, sorry for my slow reply.

Nice to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the site. Please start up a project thread and share your experiences with all our other members and I wish you all the best in your project.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Will the sports cat flows a lot better as it has a lower cell count = bigger holes and is less restrictive.

Regardless of the turbine outlet size I would recommend a 2.5 inch turbo dump for a 1600cc and a 3 inch for a 2000cc motor.

The car in my pic was dynoed before with the stock exhaust and after fitting a 3 inch complete exhaust system the same day and IIRC there was a 15% improvement in HP and TQ

I also recommend thatyou fit a straight thru hot dog type resonator midway to prevent booming and a larger straight thru rear muffler for the best result.

Warning DO NOT fit any muffler that has louvres in it as they restrict flow get the ones with perforated holes only,.
Check by holding up and looking thru to be sure.

PS the best free flowing exhaust has mandrel bends|B that DO NOT reduce the internal diameter like press bends do\B.

Thanks again... I shall look in to it further

So the JCW Mini Clubman has now returned from the garage where it had H&S sports springs put in to replace the standard JCW springs.
The original springs are far too high and there is a defined tip in to corners, the H&S springs allow it to corner MUCH flatter than OEM.
I had my doubts about the Bridgestone Potenza tyres - and was considering changing to Continental or Pirelli - but since the change of springs I can appreciate the Potenzas.
Next is a search for a 3” sports cat downpipe as suggested by TCJBOLDIE (thank you) - the trick is to find one that won’t set off the check engine light.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back