Hello! Volvo S40 project

SwiftyS40

Car
Volvo S40 2.0d
Hello! I’ve joined the forum to research and discuss potential upgrades for my 2008 Volvo S40 2.0 D SE.
I bought the car around 2 months ago and I’m really pleased - solid, smooth and a very nice looking car, finished in light grey.

Currently on approx. 103k miles and had a full clutch replacement at around 90k so hoping it will plough on for a good few years yet.

I’m going to be keeping it fairly simple to begin with as I feel my way into making changes. I come from a car mad family and have grown up watching my Dad tinker with Subarus over the years so between us we’ll do as much of the work as possible.

Shortlist of potential jobs:
- Air filter
- Brakes
- Stage 1 remap
- Wheels (refurb/replace)
- Paintwork (touching up small issues)
- Seats (repair)
- Styling: considering black wheels, black mirrors, darkened rear windows and “halo” headlights conversion.

Looking forward to talking over some of these in the community in the near future!

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

So sorry for my very slow reply, I've been looking after my mum who is very poorly at the moment - family always comes first.

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine and look forward to Talking Cars with you.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

It’s been over a year since posting this intro thread so here’s an update!

Since buying the S40 in May 2021 I’ve:
- Installed a Pipercross performance air filter
- Fitted new custom mats (black with grey trim)
- Tinted the rear windows with 5% film
- Obtained legal “light smoke” front tints, awaiting install
- Installed Heko wind deflectors front & rear
- Had the stock alloys refurbished and powder coated in a “Dark Anthracite” colour
- Resprayed the mirror casings & wiper arms in satin black

Necessary evils (issues!) have been:
- Replacement injectors, ABS module, fuel filter
- Air conditioning fixed (ice-cold!) by replacing condenser and re-gassing
- New wishbones & bushes

I’ve completed roughly half of 2021’s “To Do” list, I still intend to have a Stage 1 remap at some point but new brakes will take priority.
Installing the rear tints myself was a good learning curve but the front ones I’ll be having done properly when I get around to it! The seats still require some TLC too.

I must have jinxed the clutch because now at 120k I suspect one of the cylinders have failed. I broke down this morning on the way to work - loss of response from the clutch pedal left me unable to change gears. Considering an upgraded clutch if it’s the slave cylinder as the whole lot will be changed as a result! Currently researching whether a Stage 1 clutch is worthwhile over a standard LUK replacement.

Driven 19,000 miles in 16 months and averaging 52 mpg. Absolutely love the car and hope to continue getting many many more miles out of it over the next few years.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back