Hello TorqueCars !!!

Marc07

Road Burner
Car
Audi A8 3.7 V8 40V
Hi everyone

As you can see from my profile I'm 28 and I work for Local Authorities as a Property Manager. I know it may sound a bit boring, but everyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a nutter :) as I'm a master in separating work from a private life :blink1:

Most of my teenage life, from 15 years of age, I spend on hard work, managing and growing my first company from the age of 17 and same time doing 2 diplomas and graduating Uni, again it may sound not really interesting, but any free time in between was filled with parties and night clubs.

Cars from the past, owned and/or driven: VW Polo '83 ages ago, then Vauxhall Kadett, Toyota Celica, then two Nissan's 300ZX, one yellow standard one and second one red bi-turbo chipped, BMW 740i fully loaded with lowered suspension, full brakes upgrade, complete sport exhaust with no cat :D, Hyundai Accent, Pontiac Firebird, S600, few Volvo and Man trucks (with no trailers for better start from traffic lights in the city and making donuts :) , the longest the highest and most powerful 3 axle Neoplan coach in the world these days (with no passengers on board of course for weight reduction ;) , F3 single seater, ford NASCAR car :), Murcielago, F430 and 575, DB9, R8, 911 gt2, E55, and.......''Stealth'' at Thorpe Park near M25 Staines: 0-80mph 2.3sec - the best accelerating experience ever :))

Why I'm here ???? Well...last few years of my life was filled with planing family (the first idea was to start from buying a family car :sad2:), then having a family plus work, and it stayed like that till today.

The best bit was when after a months of deciding which family car is the best, I went to buy a Ford S-Max as agreed with my other half, and came back in a Audi A8 3.7 petrol V8 in quattro :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

But the need of me finding a community fully dedicated to car tuning with such a big and professional experience came from my best mate, who changes wheels every 6-12months and always doing some bits around his car. And every single time he comes with his family to stay over the weekend he is keep taking to **** from me and my 18'' stock wheels from new and no upgrades on the car.

I am fully aware that A8 is not a sport car and having even no sub-category in here in Audi section just confirms that

What I'm looking to do at the minute is:
(I will post them separately in dedicated threads)
- wheels upgrade from 18'' to 20'', just need some advice in regards to sizes
- upgrading tail and head lights which is easy, but will need some advice in upgrading to pro HID lights (low/high beam and fogs) to not get any Can-bus errors
- ECU chip, I really want more power and I'm regretting for years now not taking the 4.2 V8 (will post some links later on as at the minute I can't due to newbie restrictions :(
- upgrading either air filter or fitting a induction kit (will post some photos of engine bay later on after restrictions are taken off so you can see if there is enough space for this sort of upgrade as is quiet tight there :)
- very little chances of having a intercooler due to space issue.

Well...as I said, as soon I'll be able to post some photos and links I will post them separately

Car: 2006 Audi A8 3.7 V8 40V quattro

Regards
Marc

Hey Olley
You are a early bird, 3.52am!!!! I bet it was like 3.30am as you need at least 20min to read my ''Say hello'' thread ;)

Well...I do love my car even if I would prefer some 2door supercar, but then I would have to figure out how to tow a separate caravan for my misses and my daughter...and that would effect aerodynamics a lot :) :)

It is a good combination of both: performance-family. Even if glass is double glazed all around for extra quiet comfort inside, you can still hear that V8 on front, and when I drive along on my own, I usual drop the windows to hear it even better.

You may think from the beginning ''what a idiot'' ;) , but I am a massive fan of V8s V10s and V12s engines, especially noise they make on the end of exhaust.
I may regret saying that, but....sometimes I'm asking my misses to seat in the car on the driveway and just rev it for me so I can here the noise it produces on the end of the exhaust, fact :)

Next best thing after quattro and other bits are the ''F1 paddle shifters''....as you can not get this car in manual, it just puts a smile on your face wen you are in a full control of revs and gear ratios....

Hello mate, I think you'll enjoy the forums here there are a lot of knowledgable people about. What did the other half say when you turned up with an A8? I've heard someone say the A8 gives a better drive than the R8! :eek::eek:

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars forums.
It is great to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do and that you get totally addicted to this site.

Tell us what are your plans for your A8 long term?

You've owned quite a few impressive cars in the past!

Do feel free to get involved in our other threads too, the more the merrier as they say and we are friendly (being friendly is actually a forum rule!:))

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

You've crammed alot in 28 years! :bigsmile: Don't think my bank account could take the hit of the Audi's fuel consumption, nice car though and yes I have looked at them as well but thought it not a good idea as my commute is 350 miles a week.

Thanks turbonutter69, I'm enjoying it already m8 ;)

Xavier, to reply to your question: she was a bit crossed until I told her what engine is it, then she got mental !!!!
The S-Max we decided to go for was a diesel, it was to cool me down, and be more family friendly.
I tried to recover by saying that there was also 4.2 V8, but it didn't help at all :)
But with time, she fall in love with the luxury, bright leather interior and all the gadgets, not much so on the engine, but I caught her few times with a small smile while having my foot down :) , so yes, I think you can call it a great ''family'' car.

In regards to comparing it to R8, I'm not sure if you are just joking or you are serious, but they are completely different cars which is not difficult to notice.

When I was driving R8, my heart beat was ridiculously high and smile stuck to my face. It's not a easy car to drive with all the aids off, and like with most cars, you can either hate it or love it to bits. What you will get for sure, is the Audi's well know top build quality in top range cars, and even in bottom rage cars comparing to same class models.

With A8 situation changes when you drop the suspension down. The A8, the facelift model, D3 4E at least , have Air Suspension with 4 modes.

- Lift - which lifts the car to the maximum like a mini 4x4, and it works almost like a 4x4 if you have a quattro version like mine with differential lock system.
- Automatic which adapts to the road surface and your style of driving
- Comfort - half way up and very soft and quiet
and.....the....
- Dynamic :) :) :) , really low and hard, and if you combine this with a ''F1'' paddle shifters and a big petrol engine, it will put a smile on your face, especially when you realize that you are driving a almost 2 tons / 5meters long car.
...and a lot of it you get thanks to innovative Audi Space Frame (ASF) which is exceptionally strong but substantially lighter than a traditional chassis. Safety, performance and handling are all enhanced through the careful hand-welding of magnesium and aluminium panels.

As a single guy, I would probably go for R8.
As a family guy, A8 with a bit of tune and extra performance ;) is a great choice..I think

Thanks waynne , Thanks stamford.

As I said in my previous post, I do enjoy it already, a lot :)

The long term plans ???? hmmm.....After all the cosmetic upgrades and very few performance upgrades mentioned in my original ''hello'' thread, I really don't know, as the ''upgrade'' idea came up (came back) not so long ago.

I'm also planning to change the front grille to SRS GT one with no logo (can't post the pics and links yet from what I understand in regards to forum rules and restrictions for newbies, but will do as soon as I can), it is all chrome as well, but also have a bigger gaps between the...'bars'.
Also a small spoiler on the boot lid, split on the ends to cover a bit of side panels as well.

Hofele also have a great front side vented panels, but they cost something like 2.5k for pair.

The thing which I really really would like to change is the car it self, and to be precise....swap it for Audi A8 W12 6.0 quattro , this is a ultimate car for me !!!
...but it can be quiet difficult in the current ''family'' climate, if you know what I'm saying...I would even have to move out from the house...what really is not the bad idea, but then I would definitely sleep in the car with the engine on....EVEN somewhere close to the exhaust in a tent just to hear that W12 running on low revs.... :) a dream world ;)

It was a serious comment. He said the R8 is just too ferocious, like driving a motorbike. the A8 was like going really fast in a comfortable armchair. He also said the build quality was better on the A8.

I think i'd prefer the R8 myself but if you need four seats and comfort then you've made the right choice.

It was a serious comment. He said the R8 is just too ferocious, like driving a motorbike. the A8 was like going really fast in a comfortable armchair. He also said the build quality was better on the A8.

I think i'd prefer the R8 myself but if you need four seats and comfort then you've made the right choice.

As I said, you can either love it or hate it, with the aids off just make sure you have a tyre shop and own track, driving this sort of car with aids on can be annoying , also it is not the most practical car, so it's good to have a second one, but again, it all varies from person to person.
A8, yes it is big, long and wide, but light for its own proportions and is like a comfy armchair which actually could get you everywhere, suspension up plus quattro and offroads are yours, suspension max down, sport mode on paddle shifters and a great car to make quiet a lot of people look stupid behind you.
But the ultimatum between them 2, is a W12 6.0 A8 - a rocket armchair :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back