Hello from Lancashire

Kippaxblue

Car
Lexus 220d
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join. I currently have a lexus 220d which is mildly tuned using an adjustable piggyback tuning box, a k and n panel filterand am hoping to get a cat back exhaust and egr delete in the near future.

Hi and welcome |B

Not nit picking but for the sake of accuracy diesels have a diesel particulate filter(DPF) and not a cat and are not interchangeable.

Sorry to say you are wrong in this case the lexus is220d has both a dpf filter and cat as well as an egr valve. I know diesels do not need a cat but Lexus in their wisdom fitted them on the 220d. So not knit picking but fot the sake of accuracy check first. Toyota state the lexus has a combined dpf and cat maybe that is why they are so expensive to replace.

Last edited:
Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

They did indeed fit catalysts on these, they work in a similar way to a car but work at lower temps.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Sorry to say you are wrong in this case the lexus is220d has both a dpf filter and cat as well as an egr valve. I know diesels do not need a cat but Lexus in their wisdom fitted them on the 220d. So not knit picking but fot the sake of accuracy check first. Toyota state the lexus has a combined dpf and cat maybe that is why they are so expensive to replace.

I stand corrected. :D

For my education do any other diesel cars have both a cat and a DPF ?

The Lexus is the only one I have found it on but I dare say other jdm Toyotas are the same.

I have just researched our Aussie Toyota V8 Land cruiser's and I would assume without any further checking that rightly or wrongly that it's the same motor in a Lexus SUV and can't find any mention of cats BUT there may be that hidden info somewhere OR that the cat/DPF combination is not used in all Lexus diesel powered vehicles.

FYI I have a diesel powered 4WD as a DD and to tow my Type R in the side pic to club level speed events and every fill I use a measured injector cleaner and every 5000 klm's I use a DFF cleaner to help keep it in clean and tip top shape.

Some may think that it may be an over kill but it works for me as I have been adding a cleaner for so long and my cars and utes have never given me any problems in that area.

FYI There has been talk a class action here against Toyota over their 2.8 diesel engined cars,SUV's and utes with them going into limp mode and pouring out smoke screens. at low miles/KLM's

PS not wishing to start WW3 but my initial post was based on the fact that many seem to call DPF'c cats

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/f...T2y6kd2tyWwg7us6CMAaAlw3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
No offence taken sir and thank you for the welcome. The limp mode problem also effects the 220d but is usually the result of a blocked egr valve or blocked dpf caused by said egr valve. Which is the reason I am now looking to do a egr delete once I figure how to reprogram the ecu, which until recently meant removing the ecu and doing it via the bench but I believe it is now possible to do via the obd2 port. (fingers crossed).

Have you considered a proper catch can ?
I would put one on my 4x4 but am told that it would void my warranty. ?-/

Have you considered a proper catch can ?
I would put one on my 4x4 but am told that it would void my warranty. ?-/
I have already installed a proper catch can and it works great. In fact it works better than the egr as it doesn't pump rubbish into the exhaust system just have to empty it every few thousand miles which is no hardship and it has never been over 1/4 full at most.

This sounds like an awesome project I'll be watching with interest.

Welcome to the site, good to have you along. You'll find this site really friendly, helpful and supportive.

Still haven't managed to get the egr delete sorted. Blocking the egr and delete software uploaded makes a hell of a difference to the performance but after 10 miles or so it goes into limp mode, so I am looking at redirecting it. On a brighter note I have now uploaded a stage one tune and that has really made the car accelerate quicker and she now pulls like a train, so may just carry on cleaning the egr every few thousand miles if I can't work out how to delete or redirect it.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back