Hello from Atlanta GA!

silver92b

Wrench Pro
Car
Miata NA6
Found this forum while surfing the web looking for tuning tips. Looks like an interesting place where I might meet some nice folks and get some good information and ideas from a different point of view (geographically speaking at least ;))

side.JPG

frontlights.JPG

rightside.JPG

front.JPG

lightson.jpg

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Cool I've got an Aunt who lives in Norcross, welcome to the forum! You've got a great looking 5 there, what have you done with the car so far?

Silver92B, I thought I 'd have ago at reducing the noise in one of your pics.
Hope you like it & I hope you don't mind. :D

c3c0a7e0.jpg

Thanks! That is a fantastic job. I would love to be able to do things like that. May I ask what software you used to do this?

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome. The way I got into the forum was chasing a thread about fuel economy. I know it's a bit crazy to try and pursue two incompatible goals. High performance and high fuel economy do not mix, but since the gas prices in Atlanta are now well over $4 USD per gallon, I really would like to get every mile I can out of each gallon of fuel.

Anyway, this is my 3rd Miata (second time owning this particular one). I had a roots blower (Sebring) installed in it back when I first got the car. It makes about 9~10 psi of boost and the last time I had it on a dynamometer it made about 140 whp.

I just like to play with the car making modifications and customizing it to my liking. I also enjoy driving it in the curvy mountain roads of North Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Most recently I have had a new clutch installed (Exedy stage 1), and while they were at it, I obtained and had installed a Torsen LSD from a '96 Miata which changed the gears from 4.3 to 4.1, This cost me a little in acceleration out of the hole, but the highway cruising is much better with the engine not racing all the time. I also upgraded the brakes to the larger units found in the 1.8 cars. I also installed the Fortune 510 coil over suspension.

What I am most interested in at this time is to find the best way to manage the fuel delivery. Right now, I am using a rising fuel pressure regulator and the slightly larger injectors from a 1.8 engine. I think that I might be running the engine with unnecessarily rich mixture when not really needed. I think the timing control is good as I am using the Jackson Racing Boost Timing Controller. I hope to find a better option for the fuel control.

I am also looking for an alternative to the aftermarket exhaust options available locally...

Thanks! That is a fantastic job. I would love to be able to do things like that. May I ask what software you used to do this?

Cheers! I used Adobe Lightroom 3, it's pretty user friendly once you get your head around the catalogue system but there are oodles of how to video's on Adobe's site & you tube channel. :bigsmile:

Last edited:
What I am most interested in at this time is to find the best way to manage the fuel delivery. Right now, I am using a rising fuel pressure regulator and the slightly larger injectors from a 1.8 engine. I think that I might be running the engine with unnecessarily rich mixture when not really needed. I think the timing control is good as I am using the Jackson Racing Boost Timing Controller. I hope to find a better option for the fuel control.

I am also looking for an alternative to the aftermarket exhaust options available locally...

I know of some people are running two throttle bodies on forced induction cars, one is a dummy & I think the afm is run through this. I'll try & find some more info & get back to you. :)

Last edited:
I know of some people are running two throttle bodies on forced induction cars, one is a dummy & I think the afm is run through this. I'll try & find some more info & get back to you. :)

Hmmm.. That's really new to me. I'd love to find out more about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.. That's really new to me. I'd love to find out more about it.

Omg. I wish I never mentioned it! :lol: Just been trying to read up on it & it gets confusing fast, If you fancy a read I can send you a couple of links. I don't think it would help your fuelling question though, it seems to be a way of squeezing more power from a SC set up.

Maybe your fuelling issue could be solved by adjusting the map is that an option with the ECU you have?

Omg. I wish I never mentioned it! :lol: Just been trying to read up on it & it gets confusing fast, If you fancy a read I can send you a couple of links. I don't think it would help your fuelling question though, it seems to be a way of squeezing more power from a SC set up.

Maybe your fuelling issue could be solved by adjusting the map is that an option with the ECU you have?

It sounded quite intriguing... But you are right, it's probably too complicated for what I need. Unfortunately, the early NA6 Miatas are not easily reprogrammed. I know of no tool or system to reprogram the stock ECU. I know that there are piggy-back computers and stand-alone computers for it.
The stand alone solutions are either too expensive or have problems (or both). The piggy-back chips seem to be good, but still a bit expensive (the Xede computer is quite expensive). I might have to break the piggybank and get one :blink1:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back