hello from a jap car fan

RichiesTrucking

Torque Junkie
Car
VR4 legnum
i finally got my VR4 in june this year. going backwards:
2001 galant estate 2.5 V6 sport (now a donor car)
1999 galant 2.4 GDi
1998 galant 2.0 GLS
1989 supra turbo

suffice to say i got a taste of jap cars with the supra and have stuck with them. chances are my next car will be a facelift VR4 legnum (i like the versatility of the legnum over galant) although that will be a long way off if this car keeps costing me money. the brakes have seen better days so its only human nature to upgrade to brembos :blink:

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

thanks for the welcome

it has been a nightmare from the beginning
i had it 3 weeks when the rear diff cracked (common problem with VR4s and early EVOs) so i sourced a replacement through the car club from a guy in birmingham. he informed me that a member from lossiemouth was down there buying a car identical to my own and he had offered to courier the diff for me. great! he bought his car and 2 miles later is broken down with a rear diff issue. as the guy was hundreds of miles from home i said he could use the one i was meant to get which he did then they found another one for me and he dropped that off.
1st garage took 2 weeks to fit the diff and told me there was a suspected gearbox problem so the car still cant be driven. i drove the car back and forward one car length and immediately disagreed (the back end jolted) so it got taken to a recommended garage and they diagnosed the rear diff being shot inside. i got another one (non AYC this time) which needed longer half shafts which i supplied the next day. a few days later i was told they were having problems getting the old half shafts out then they broke my wheel bearings. eventually they got my car back on the road but informed me that the hub was now bent.
after paying their extortionate bill (they charged me labour to repair the damage that they did plus i supplied the parts) i got the hub and hub carrier as the ABS light was now on. it was repaired and inspected by a rather shocked engineer (following the ABS lead to see where it plugged in and it fell down as it wasnt plugged in!) who is a friend of a club member so all was well again. almost!
now the ABS light was intermittently on and off until it was eventually just on. the brakes were bad when i got the car but the repairs and hire car for 7 weeks crippled my funds so it is only now that i am getting round to doing them with EVO8 upgrades which has been put back a week thanks to an unexpected vet bill and replacement car battery which died while the car was running on saturday. the front bearings are on their way so i went to a mate in aberdeen to get them replaced (we couldnt get the old ones off). he spotted the ABS fault which was the front o#!#!#!ide wire being worn to the core wires (how?) and he sorted that out.

at the moment i need the facelift hub carriers removed from my V6 (for the brembos) and new hubs/wheel bearings fitted. i should be buying the brembos this friday which will be going to be cleaned up and painted blue. the braided lines i have waiting to go on will have to be replaced as the rear brembo calipers have a different fitment to VR4 so i need to have a new set made up. once all this is done i can transfer the falkens from the TSWs currently on the V6 to the Wedssports that are on the VR4

i am also looking for a set of EVO alloys to put winter tyres on. i need new tyres too as the ones i have on the V6 alloys are too high profile for the VR4 on bilsteins. i may be able to rescue the coilovers from the V6 so i may get away with that one

Reactions: keu

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back