Hello everyone! I have a Renault 5 c from 1985 as my first car and could use some help with some mods!

bramjeweetwel

Car
Renault 5 c
Hey everyone.

I have a renault 5 as my first car. Im looking to modify some things (maybe if possible make it a little bit faster and reliable). If you have any tips or experience on an r5 or in general please let me know. So i can maybe start my car-journey with a little headstart.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Sorry for my slow reply, it's been a very busy time for me at the moment but hopefully I've caught up.

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine and look forward to Talking Cars with you.

I like the sound of this project, we love diversity and respect ALL car projects.

What mods have you done already and which ones do you recommend? What things would you like us to cover in our articles on the main site? - Feedback from our members greatly shapes what content we research and provide.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, we're all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Have you seen our new TV channel? Let us have your thoughts when you've got a chance to see it. https://www.youtube.com/torquecars

Hello and welcome, all the best for the new year, and I wonder what it holds for each of us.

Hopefully, this Virus thing will be gone and we can get on with our lives.

What sort of mods are you aloud to do I've heard a lot of Europe have very strict rules about what can be done and parts that can be used, I did hear that you can get around some of these rules by using parts from newer versions of the same car bit of a grey area / loophole apparently?.

Welcome/Welkom!

I had a look at rules for NL; I think they are similar to ours in the UK. I even read some of the laws in Dutch but there is a lot there, I can understand the lyrics of piratenhits, but it takes me a bit longer to read government documents!

The impression I got from skim reading them is provided the car is modified to a standard that would have been safe for when it was on the road in 1980s/90s and passes modern emissions standards it would be OK.

I'm assuming you recently got your driving licence, might be fairly young and this is your daily driver; in this situation I would start with getting everything checked out to make sure the stock components are reliable and replace anything that is suffering from wear, maybe start with some cosmetic mods and detailing and after that look at the performance side. Also be careful of the impact on your insurance with a heavily modified car, I found some guidelines below for NL (they are pretty much the same as in UK)

https://www.independer.nl/autoverzekering/info/situaties/auto-tunen

(I've linked the English overview about the rules below for those who are curious but don't read Dutch)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back