Hello all, Need to make a monster out of my Mazda 3

shabahang

Car
Mazda 3 2009
Hello guys,

I've got a 2.0 liter Mazda 3, 2009 model and need to know if it makes any sense to upgrade to a 2.3 engine. Mine is an automatic and I heard somewhere that I must make a lot of mods in order to have a 2.3 engine fixed into my car, including changing the whole transmission and make it a manual. Is that the case? If so, it would sure cost me a fortune, so don't think I'd go that way, and instead will think about boosting the engine performance.

Can anyone tell me with the current standard 147bhp, how much more I can get by putting mods on the 2.0 liter? What are the things I need to replace, and approximately how much more power does each one add?

What if I want to have a say 3 seconds better 0-60? I assume I need to boost the torque department, right? does it automatically happen as I modify for performance or will they only increase my top speed?

In case of an upgrade to a 2.3, where changing to manual isn't necessary, what other mods am I looking at?

This might be a ridiculous question but I'll shoot anyway :) Can one turn a mazda 3 into a rear drive? Is it feasible?

I'd appreciate any help I can get guys, so help me out with making my baby Mazda 3 into a baby monster =)

Hello and welcome to the site mate

if your after a large increase in performance then yes you could do it to the 2.0 but you would end up with a pretty unheathy engine and a very empty bank banance.
reliability would be heavily compromised

does the 2.3 come with an automatic option ?

rear wheel drive - see above on high performance. it means cutting a new floor plan, fitting rear axle and getting a transfer box off your engine.

good day all,

pgarner, thanks mate for the info. So from what I see here I just have to ride what I bought, right? :(
It's hard to believe the 3 drivers never touch their cars and can improve very little in the performance department!
How about if the 2.3 engine comes with an automatic. then what about this scenario? What mods have to go in exactly to make it all work? Any ideas anyone?

if the 2.3 comes with the same gearbox as youve currently got it should be alot easier to swap.

dont get me wrong you could get the performance from the 2.0 but being a NASP engine the gains you get a pretty minimal unless your doing major work, by which point you would have been cheaper buying a higher performance car

if the 2.3 comes with the same gearbox as youve currently got it should be alot easier to swap.

dont get me wrong you could get the performance from the 2.0 but being a NASP engine the gains you get a pretty minimal unless your doing major work, by which point you would have been cheaper buying a higher performance car
if u read up more about ur engine u will find that its actually a ford engine a duratec look it up on google i think u will find the main big things u want is a good sports exhaust system and propper forged pistons not really any head work needed as its already factory fitted with the bigger valves etc from wat i can gather it is strongly recomended to change to forged pistons and rods as they are only made of cast the rest of the engine is pretty tough built from race teach also i see alot of people changing to a new throttle body and roller barrel intakes with trumpets on them and a remap of the ecu is a huge plus just that will give u 200 bhp