Heel and toe gearchanges

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Feel free to post about the pros and cons of heel and toe and pass on techniques that you found useful.

Heel and toe is so called because you use one foot to control 2 pedals. Typically the toe on the brake and the heel on the accelerator but I have seen this done the other way round. Some cars have pedals that lend themselves to this others are quite far apart although aftermarket pedals can be added.

The aim is to maintain the balance of the car. As you change gear you will match the engine speed with the next gear ratio by blipping the throttle. On tracks you can use this technique to keep the turbo spinning whilst braking so there is no lag when you go back on throttle.

If you brake and accelerate at the same time your brakes will overheat and you risk them binding on (Locking up) so use this technique carefully. Practice while changing down gears then apply it on bends and corners keeping the balance of the car.

Hopefully I've missed loads out so you guys can chip in a little. Feel free to ask questions as well. :wink:

If you have a light flywheel and the engine loses revs really rapidly then there might be an arguement for Double Declutching.

Is double declutching and heel and toe the same thing? I would say not, but I'll leave you to argue the details on this one :lol: !

is double declutching not when you change into neutral before changing into the required gear. heel-toe is particularly useful when drifting. or at least according to the films i have seen of the pros in action.
Enjoi

That is double declutching. You can still use heel and toe but the difference as you say is moving to neutral, blip throttle and then choose the next gear. :D

The pros rely on H&T in drifting a lot but even track drivers use the technique a lot :wink: .