Head Porting

fingers

Torque Master
As is was bright and sunny today I decided to leave my seat re-trimming for the moment and go out side to play with some dirty bits ( :rolleyes: no not rude things). I bought some carbide burrs (like forary files) in the week to do my head porting and had a scrap head lying around so I thought I'd give it a go. How hard can it be? I set myself up a makeshift workbench in the sun, got all my tools out along with the spare cylinderheads for the "Lee". At this point I thought "Sod it, I won't bother practising I will go straight to work on the V8 heads."

Here's how they were before
after.jpg

before.jpg

I stole a bottle of nail polish from Jo and painted the area arund each port. Then I bolted an intake gasket to head and used that as a template and scribed the nail polish so I know how far to open the ports.

P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Lovley colour, don't you think.

Then I used the burrs to open up the port openings to match the gasket, tapering in to meet the port's original size about 1 - 1.5 inches into the port. Any lumps or imperfections were smoothed down and any square angles in the casting within the port was rounded off. Now I need to polish the ports as the burr leave a harsh surface that will attract a carbon buildup like the Bechams attract the papperazzi.

I couldn't get a good picture of the valve bowls and guids but here are a few of opened ports.

after.jpg

after5.jpg

after3.jpg

Will update as progress occurs. 8)

You're a brave man! Looks good though. I'm always amazed at how rough the ports are when they leave the factory. Are you polishing and smoothing the exhaust manifold (header) as well?

Thankyou. 8) Yep, I will be douing the headers and intake manifold too. It's not actually as hard as I thought it would be, you just have to take it slowly and gently, and always using a sweeping motion. I will try and get some good photo's of the valve bowls tomorrow, I need to borrow a better camera first. Mine doesn't like closeups.

Already read that, :wink: along with pages and pages of other stuff about porting. You shouldn't actuall poish any of the intake side, only the exhaust.