HDi's HiDs

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Taken the plunge and finally fitted aftermarket HiDs to my ageing 528i.

Yes, well worth the money - the factory dipped beam lighting was not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination. Useless is the word that comes to mind, despite fitment of Osram Nightbreaker IIs.

My car has the HB4 projector dipped beam fitment. HB4s are a ridiculously low 51 watt rating (H7s are 60 watts, for example).

The up side is that the HB4 Xenon fitment is outrageously simple, largely because the base of the lamp (bulb) forms the seal within the headlight unit itself.

Beam pattern is perfect with razor sharp cutoff just like the incandescent lights gave. No hotspots or cold spots.

Local garage performed full alignment for a tenner, it was only marginally out, not even far enough out to constitute a MoT failure.

My car does have washing and levelling fitted as standard so apart from the technicality of E marking I am road legal. BMW tells me that the genuine HiD enclosures are optically identical to the halogen ones so hopefully no problems will transpire.

To drive, yes, vastly superior, every bit as good as the OEM factory HiD fitted cars I've driven.

Yep, a happy HDi

Marvellous news buddy, nothing worse than having to squint through the windscreen at oncoming traffic at night; glad your safer now :)

Marvellous news buddy, nothing worse than having to squint through the windscreen at oncoming traffic at night; glad your safer now :)

It had become a frustration and in truth yes, a potential risk to safety I think.

As you know the car was a panic purchase in 2010 and first time I used it at night it was baaaad. Shame because there are some superbly lit cars with traditional tungsten halogen incandescent lights. Sadly this one ain't one of 'em.

My decision to swap in HiDs was a tortuous one as I know that technically I am flouting the construction and usage regulations on E markings only - even with the self levelling and wash system which are both standard (and both working properly).

But I am also aware that driving a car that I believe has inadequate lighting could also constitute an offence. Dilemma. Dichotomy /??????

These aftermarket ones were the most expensive on the market - not Ebay fifty quid cheapies. And in fairness they're equally as good as the brand new cars I've driven with factory HiD fitments.

Last edited:
Cool - I thought you'd like them once they were in. From what I can tell projectors need HIDS to be any good, even with the best halogens.

I am in agreement with you there. Having driven halogen equipped projectors in a Vectra, a Mondeo, a Peugeot 406 Coupe amongst others they are all as bad as my 528i.

It does seem as if the natural way to operate a projector & shield headlamp is with a HiD burner.

Nice one hdi, you've been toying with this idea for ages and I'm glad it's worked out so well foryou.