Have you ever had a crash

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
How many of us have crashed our cars?

How many times, what happened? How badly damaged was the car? Did it change your driving style or attitude?

I wrote off my first car, in just 2 weeks.

I've also reversed into a wooden bollard/post in the rain and I've scraped the car very slightly on a tight flint wall, thankfully after my first efforts, there was little damage done in the rest.

It did make me a very careful driver, each and every near miss is something I learn from and am always trying to improve.

First one I remember, as a new driver, I hit a parked car in college car park. Spoke with the owner, exchanged all details, she never pursued anything.

Bumped someone at a roundabout entrance. Got out to exchange details with the driver, his wife got out and started screaming that I'd wrecked their boot and the driver told her to shut up as he did that weeks ago on a pillar! Never pursued anything.

Same car, about a few months later, I pulled out of a side road into the path of another car.
Crash.
He drove off and never pursued anything. This was in a small town and I found out who it was and he'd been drinking heavily all day when we crashed. Probably thought he was at fault.
Wrote my car off myself.
All that was within a year of passing test.

Drove a company car into a wall, across a mini roundabout, at high speed. Policeman, when pacing out my skid marks suggested I was doing about 70mph when I was about 5ft from the wall. Bloody lucky to walk away from that (especially when I consider the person I was racing stopped about a foot behind me!)

Fast forward many years and nothing happening. My first Scooby gets hit in the rear.
I scrape the hire car across a pillar on my drive. Repaired that myself rather than disclose and get insurance hiked for the next 5 years.

Driving the wifelet's Hyundai I pulled out of my drive and hit a passing car. Exchanged details, he claimed, I claimed. Nothing major.
Come renewal time and my insurance goes down... When I ask if the incident was recorded, I'm told it was but as it was the wifelet's car, not mine, my insurance wasn't affected.
Come renewal of her insurance... Goes down. Didn't question.

I think that's it...

What made me a careful driver was working for an insurance company dealing with car crash claims. Seeing how easy it is to crash I became so aware of other drivers being inattentive.

Crash a few times, but no one else involved
1st time when I was 19 ,add the car 6hrs was only a 1.2 clio n manage to do 5.5k damage lucky to get it fix

2nd n 3rd time , did it on track lol . Was learning the limits of my e30 325 when I was 21

Since then I try to be bit more careful

I'm not perfect and rolled my Datsun 1600 rally car when the back end went a bit too far sideways and the rear tyres went into a spoon drain and the sill dug in. and we landed back upright with most panels damaged and retired and drove it home .
After the event my navigator said we should have carried on as the 3 leaders in front all crashed out and we could have won it.
Had the car reshelled and competed in more events before selling it with the intention of building a RX2 rally car to replace it but sadly the building industry went into a recession and work and money was in short supply.

Also my old car was rear ended wile stationary at traffic lights and almost written off shortly after getting the motor recoed.

Last edited:
First one I remember, as a new driver, I hit a parked car in college car park. Spoke with the owner, exchanged all details, she never pursued anything.

Bumped someone at a roundabout entrance. Got out to exchange details with the driver, his wife got out and started screaming that I'd wrecked their boot and the driver told her to shut up as he did that weeks ago on a pillar! Never pursued anything.

Same car, about a few months later, I pulled out of a side road into the path of another car.
Crash.
He drove off and never pursued anything. This was in a small town and I found out who it was and he'd been drinking heavily all day when we crashed. Probably thought he was at fault.
Wrote my car off myself.
All that was within a year of passing test.

Drove a company car into a wall, across a mini roundabout, at high speed. Policeman, when pacing out my skid marks suggested I was doing about 70mph when I was about 5ft from the wall. Bloody lucky to walk away from that (especially when I consider the person I was racing stopped about a foot behind me!)

Fast forward many years and nothing happening. My first Scooby gets hit in the rear.
I scrape the hire car across a pillar on my drive. Repaired that myself rather than disclose and get insurance hiked for the next 5 years.

Driving the wifelet's Hyundai I pulled out of my drive and hit a passing car. Exchanged details, he claimed, I claimed. Nothing major.
Come renewal time and my insurance goes down... When I ask if the incident was recorded, I'm told it was but as it was the wifelet's car, not mine, my insurance wasn't affected.
Come renewal of her insurance... Goes down. Didn't question.

I think that's it...
So many of these are when we have recently passed our test! But we feel like pro drivers at that point and wonder why everyone else drives so slowly.

i had many crashes but the big one was in a bmw e46 i was drifting on a mountain road downhill and to keep it short the result was my car upside down all smashed and thanks to god i crawled out with no injury.