Harness pro & cons

clarkey1984

Wrench Pro
Car
Ford st
hi , do any of you have safety harness seatbelt fitted in your car ?
Do you just have the harness or still have the standard seatbelt also?

What point harness do you have and do you always use the crotch strap (sub belt)

Do you make sure your passenger use the harness?

Hi and welcome to a great site with knowledgeable and helpful people |B :)

Would definitely not recommend them for a daily drive road car as they need adjusting for different individuals body size and seat position.

When mounted correctly the shoulder straps will prevent use of the rear seats unless they are fixed to a "taxi bar" in a 4 seater.

I would advise you to also check with your transport authority regarding the legality of a harness in a road registered car as well.

I have them in the car in the pic BUT use the factory retractable belts when on the road and the harness when on the track.

FYI click on the link for more info on the best/safest way to mount a harness http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/GeneralRequirements/GQ10-Schedule-I-2017-1.pdf

Last edited:
I have 4 point harnesses in the track car. When my car was still used as a commuter I purchased a quick release harness. The rear point had a quick release buckle which meant the rear strap could tuck behind the rear seat and the front when set up right could be unclipped leaving you free to use the rear seats and inertia belts.
As said any passenger would mean adjusting to suit. Other points to bear in mind if fitting harnesses and removing the inertia belts is the SRS light and requirements. A grey area for some with regards MOT tests and whether they should be present if not standard, assuming the OE ones have been removed. Personally I like harnesses as they make me feel snug, however only as good as the seat you are in and correctly fitted of course.

I have takata harnesses in the stagea but it is fair to say it isnt close to a daily driver.
It is possible to use the harnesses and take passengers in the back as Ive had a custom rail made that fits behind the back seat.
Of course here is a lot more space in the back of a stagea than in a starion
Re the legality . As long as the fitment meets the MOT regs they are definately legal in the UK.

A quick release harness is arguably simpler to get out of than a normal seat belt because the release is easier to get at.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back