Handbrakes and MOT

claymore

The Torque Meister
Car
T-10k,
Due to the mods happening to my car over winter it is going to be difficult to use handbrake cables, do I need them? can I use a hydraulic handbrake? I see that Willwood make electric handbrake calipers for kitcars, so if a kitcar doesn't need a cable then surely a normal road car doesn't either.

Not that clear:

Hydraulic parking brakes as a sole means of operation are not acceptable on vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1968. However, they may be used to assist the application or release of a mechanical brake.

As my car is a 1967 model I can fit one, and I am as it saves a lot of work (and weight).

An electronic parking brake (EPB), although applied electronically, must be maintained in operation by direct mechanical means. This mechanism may be within the brake caliper or within the motor/gear assembly, so cannot be readily seen.

Just because someone sells something doesn't automatically make it legal to use on the public roads. Might be worth talking to Wilwood.

Just looked on their site and can only find this:

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.aspx?subname=Combination P-Brake

but it isn't hydraulic. Have you found something else?

I have no idea, you are on your own with this one :) They, however, must be legal if fitted to present cars. A visit to your MOT station may in order to see what they think.

The handbrake on my car is rubbish. Holds the car on an incline, which is all it's intended to do. Passes the MoT on that basis.

I get really annoyed with people who use P(ark) as a handbrake substitute. It's not designed for that purpose.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back