Had much snow and ice yet

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Is there much snow and ice your way? They keep threatening but the worst we've had so far is a slight frost overnight!

Was working in Sheffield last week and I would say it was a heavy frost one morning. It felt really cold though. Not used to it. Now I know whey they call us soppy southerners!

Snow and ice is the least of our worries in Australia seeing over the last 12 months we have gone thru a cripiling drought,raging bush fires and now flooding rains.

Nothing that we haven't experienced previously and it's not all due to "climate change" as many of the fires were lit by arsonists of various ages.

Sadly there were a number of deaths including 3 Anerican volunteers that crashed in their fire tanker plane that was dumping fire retardant.

Last edited:
Its always hard to get my head around the fact that some of our members are the other side of the world and experiencing summer while we are in winter!

If you have to brake in snowy conditions then the ABS will activate quite fast due in part to the lower grip level allowing wheels to become locked much earlier than it would on dry surfaces at similar speeds.
The other reason is that the lower grip level severely reduces weight transfer to the front tyres under brakes so they can become locked way earlier than on a grip-pier surface so you can use the hand brake a little to help reduce stopping distance if needed.