gto turbos

johhnnie

Car
gto tt
I no this will no doubt be a silly question to someone who no's the answer ,

What is the difference between the gto 9b turbo and the 13t - I no that the compressor wheel is bigger ( not sure about the exhaust side wheel ) , Are the internals the same , ie: has the shaft been made bigger as well ( if so what other changes have been made ) ..

John :sad2:

The 9b turbo is the stock fitment to GTO [import]. The 13g is stock fitment to the 3000GT [U.K. spec]. There are differences between these which although minor, are relevant. The 13g is slightly bigger and twin veined and can be pushed slightly more than a 9b.
The 13T is based on the stock Scooby turbo, i is clocked and has tags welded on to accept GTO wastegate actuators. It is a decent upgrade.
Bare in mind that you can't just bolt on bigger turbos and that's that. You will need to upgrade the fuelling, control the boost etc. Further modifications include binning the stock twin intercoolers and either fitting uprated ones or a front mount.
Before consideration is given to any upgrades you need to ensure that your engine will handle it, a compression check is a starter as it will define some of the internal wear, a leak down test will clarify it. A fully serviced engine, cambelt system etc is always a positive.
If you have a high mileage engine with minimal service history, it could be a recipe for disaster.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back