Gto ( new owner )

Gtol200

Car
Mitsubishi gto
Hi there, i've just rescued ( i hope ) my first gto... Having owned an Fto for a few years now and got it into tip-top condition.... I thought i'd take the plunge! Trailored my gto down from Scotland 3 weeks ago and immeadiatly changed the cambelt and tensioners etc, new water pump and oil pump fitted at the same time!... All good phew!... One problem i seem to have inheirited tho is a "crunch" when selecting second gear, it go's into gear ok and does get a lot better as the gearbox warms up!... Im'e about to drain the oil out of the box - can anyone suggest an oil i should use, a mechanic mate of mine has recomended using a drop of Slick 50 in also!! ... Any suggestions - or am i looking at a new gearbox!

First thing I would do is to check your technique
1 are you depressing the pedal all the way down
2 is the pedal freeplay within spec
3 have you bled the clutch slave to ensure no air trapped
4 are you being a "boy racer " and ramming the shifter into the next gear
5 are you flat changing and not lifting off the gas
6 IF none of the above then get the box hot and change the oil.I have had a good result with a stiff/balky box using REDLINE LIGHTWEIGHT SHOCKPROOF oil not cheap but has improved the gearchange tremendously.
NOTE do not expect any oil to repair stuffed syncros

My R33GTR had similar problem. Also recommend the Redline Shockproof as it basically slows the gears transfer speed down and gives it a chance to slot in. Eventually changed the box but it gives you some breathing time

Greetings Gtol200 and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Thanks for the info i will defo give the Redline a go,.... noticed the clutch resevoir really low and checked for leaks on the system, all seems good so i'le definatly take your advice and bleed the slave cylinder.... Fingers + toes crossed!