GTI6

Hi fatboy - WELCOME. We seem to have quite a few PUG fans here. They swarm at times. YOu done any mods to your car?

fatboy - Just to warn you - Freddie will now spend the rest of his time trying to convince you to buy a Saxo VTi-S :)

Lol, GTI-6 is a great car in theory. A hatchback with a 6-speed box and a nice big powerplant under the bonnet. Just shame they carry that French trait of unreliability.. Which, I might add, somehow doesn't affect Saxo's! :lol:

Hi Fatboy. Tell me more about the GTi6 I've not heard of it before. What engine size is it and what year?

Hi miki - nice to have you along - hope we'll get to hear all about your car and the problems you've had with it :D .

Light and fun with lift off oversteer - great stuff. The 106 Gti was voted car of the year by Top Gear against some stiff competition too!

well done. my 106 was black what was your colour?im not that sort of person hows like spending loads of money on the body kits and stuff like that. i like fast and quick things that look standard apart from wheels. i like my 14inch!

It was a racing/emerald green - it got stolen just 2 weeks after I got the car so was really gutted. I agree that the sleeper look is best - surprise them at the lights! :twisted:

waynne said:
hope we'll get to hear all about your car and the problems you've had with it :D .

You'll regret saying that when the topic

'My cambelt has gone after only 40k, but the book says replace every 60k! Please post details instructions on removing GTI6 head and replacing cambelt, as well as bent valves'

arrives.

lookin towards gettin a 106 GTI myself i bloody love pugs (not just because i work with them coz if anything tht would put u off as they can be a pain in the ass) but its just somethign about them i guess its becoz of the protential they have

Didnt they come top in a TOPGEAR group test which included a Ferrari? Handling was like a go cart - awesome fun!

Re: GTI

Hey guys! I used to be on the forums some time ago under the guise of SexyBeast. This was a long time ago and i had a BMW 3-series, but i have returned with a Pug 206 GTI this time. :mrgreen:

Has anyone else bought one second hand only to find that they have to rebuild the beast from scratch nearly? I've had mine a month just about and i've replaced half the f*cking car already! :mad:

It's cost me about £1k thus far! Front suspension (full spec) totally replaced. Clutch - replaced. Gearbox - Reconditioned (just waiting for it back from the garage still) and a new exhaust. I was going to add a new one anyway but needs must when some f*ckwit has decided to pigeon weld and plaster the existing exhaust to keep it attached to the car (just). :rolleyes:

The cost is getting ridiculous at the moment. I know they're not known for their reliability but for christ's sake it seems like an awful lot to go wrong all at once! :shock:

That said I'm really missing it. It was supposed to be finished Saturday afternoon. It's now Monday afternoon and as far as i'm aware the gearbox still hasn't arrived back from reconditioning! How long can it take to re-con a gearbox!? :evil:

Anyway, Hi! lol!

hey and welcome back to the site. is it the 136 or the 180 gti ? be warned if it is the 180 lot can go wrong with them.

so why are you not logging back in as your old username ?

It's the 137. Fast enough and didn't want to add an extra £3k to my insurance premium. lol. I completely forgot my old username until i'd re-signed-up with this one. This garage busines is really doing my head in though i feel like going down and swinging for the guy! If someone says Saturday you don't expect it to take 'til Tuesday/Wedneday the next week do you!? It's a joke!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There rudders and welcome back. Do you want to see if I can join your old posts to your new username? I think it is possible but I've never done it before.

I think I've done it - give it a while for the old posts to get your new id! Did you register as sexybeast and sexybeast69? If not then I've deleted the sexybeast account - sorry whoever you are!

You'll regret saying that when the topic

'My cambelt has gone after only 40k, but the book says replace every 60k! Please post details instructions on removing GTI6 head and replacing cambelt, as well as bent valves'

arrives.

ooo dear

what book were you using?
Was it the haynes manuel because they don't cover the GTi-6
(says on the back)

i'd just get a new enigne mate there easy enough to come by and there relatively cheap

Hi Japes and welcome - we seem to be attracting GTi 6 owners! Have you done any mods to yours? Anything planned?

yeah full custom exsaust with sports cat, induction kit, angel eye front lights, afterburners at the back, tinted windows, dvd head unit, 12" sub, and sum 6x9s.
havin it chiped on friday and got a powerboost valve and ecotech valve to fit when i get round to it and thats about it for now got lots of plans for the future but slight cash flow problem at the minute

if youve got a cash flow rob mate can i suggest something ?
Sell the ecoteh valve. its a waste of time unless you like the induction noise when you lift off.
had one on my civic for around 40k and never noticed any difference

if youve got a cash flow rob mate can i suggest something ?
Sell the ecoteh valve. its a waste of time unless you like the induction noise when you lift off.
had one on my civic for around 40k and never noticed any difference
cheers bud al bear that in mind wish someone had botherd to tell me before i shelled out for it lol but what ya gunna do

You should have signed up years ago and we'd have saved you the money ;) Glad your here now though.

I've thought about getting a 6 or a rallye in place of my dt trying to find one thats unmodded and with low milage and full service history is pritty hard to come by...any Ideas?

Mind you I do want to mod it myself but I'd rather start with a blank canvas....

The Rallye will probably be easier to track down than a 6. Not seen many of either about. Shame they are very nice cars.

The Rallye will probably be easier to track down than a 6. Not seen many of either about. Shame they are very nice cars.

Actually I'm finding it more difficult to find a rallye than a 6 to be fair...there loads of 6's out there and some rather good ones....but it seem to be that the low milage ones have been modded and the un-modded ones have high milage and no service history....its a real pain

Where abouts are you from? It seemed to be a different story down in kent. I was looking for one for a mate a year back. It is a shame that so many of the good ones have been molested! :( I'm sure something will turn up for you. I'll let you know if I see any about.

Where abouts are you from? It seemed to be a different story down in kent. I was looking for one for a mate a year back. It is a shame that so many of the good ones have been molested! :( I'm sure something will turn up for you. I'll let you know if I see any about.

I'm from the midlands mate(west midlands/South Staffordshire)

Was telling some people at work I wanted to get a 6 and they were asking me"why would you want one of those old #!#!#!#! for?"
This is coming from a bloke who drives an alfa romeo diesel!
Like alfa's but a diesel one is like having your mom give you a lap dance instead of going to stringfellows....
it's not the same.....
I haven't driven the Gti-6 but from what people tell me I'm going to like it very much
Yes, most new hot hatches would probebly blast it to kingdom come....but everything else it does soooooo much better....
Drove the new 207 Gti and I didn't like it that much...They said it's surposed to handle and feel like the old pug gti's....if thats the case then oh dear....

I rented a 207 Diesel and wasn't impressed with that - the handling was vague to say the least. However an older 206 was great fun as was the 205 Gti.

Hi there, rallye owner here! I realise the last post was a while ago but thought I would say hello anyway!

There are a lot more gti-6's than rallyes by the way, 500 rallyes were imported to the UK; 200 Cherry Red, 200 Bianca White and 100 Black.