"green" car for the drag strip

Hansi

Track Warrior
Car
Getz GLS 1.6
Hi there

I've been working on a design for a while now and thought I would try to get some ideas and opinions.

The plan is to get a small, light car and strip it down to loose weight. Take out the engine and replace with high powered and high torque electrical motors, perhaps even one for each wheel or one for each back wheel and one for the front wheels together when I have the recources in the future.

The biggest problem, besides funding, I think will be the weight of the batteries. I will have them in the middle and maibe have 2 seats and keep it street legal just for the fun of it since you don't pay any taxes of electrical cars in Iceland.

The best thing about the electrical motor is that it usually is high torque and keeps it's torque even over the whole rpm range

So any ideas or opinions? Please shoot:blink1:

Why use batteries when you could just run a small petrol generator? If it is for a drag strip then overall power storage is not too much of a problem you just need a massive boost for 10 seconds. Perhaps some large capacitors can help deliver this power spike.

Just out of the Top Of Me Hat:

1. Centifugal clutch in the rear wheels, so that when you take your foot off the accelerator, the vehicle continues to move forward, without the added drag of the armatures of the two motors at the back.

2. Fixed flywheel in the front with a motor that would drive for reverse.

3. Also in the front, mebbe one or two motors, of lesser size, that would run constantly when the wheels are moving, to generate some electricity to replenish the depletion by the main motors, to some extent.

4. Capacitors too yes, if found feasible.

5. Solar cells on the top.

6. Molded Carbon-Fiber body on roll-cage piping.

Lemme see if I can think of any more................

Conservation of energy rules! Running extra motors to replenish batteries won't work, IMO. The power required to turn the motors will have to come from the rotation of the wheels which are being powered by the motors being powered by the batteries! These extra motors will add weight to the vehicle and add extra drag to the driveshafts thereby reducing the torque available to drive the wheels. The power required to drive the extra motors will be more than will be supplied to the batteries so available power will also be reduced.

Battery weight shouldn't be an issue. You are only requiring them to power the car for a minute or so on tickover and 10 seconds on full power. I am sure someone on here (HD?) could do the maths to get some kind of idea of how much power would be required for, say, a 400kg vehicle.

Conservation of energy rules! Running extra motors to replenish batteries won't work, IMO. The power required to turn the motors will have to come from the rotation of the wheels which are being powered by the motors being powered by the batteries! These extra motors will add weight to the vehicle and add extra drag to the driveshafts thereby reducing the torque available to drive the wheels. The power required to drive the extra motors will be more than will be supplied to the batteries so available power will also be reduced.

I stand duly corrected and informed... :D

Wasn't aware of that bit of information.

Also had overlooked the fact fact its just for drag, hence the solar cells suggestion.

But then at least I was right in the frame and body? ;)

And in light of the above. I guess just one powerful motor, driving both wheels in a RWD, the batteries placed mid-frame to provide purchase to the steering wheels in the front, but just front of the driver's seat. should be an acceptable configuration?

And simple cable delivery for the brakes, aided by a parachute, would help reduce weight? And mebbe a reverse polarity switch to aid stopping............?

And my suggestion of centrifugal clutch is also redundant, since he would not be letting off till he crosses the finish line anyways.

What's your opinion?

Last edited:
thanks for the comments, this is still in early stages on the drawing board and unfortunatly won't happen just yet but hopefully I can start this within 12 months. I am a student so this could take long to fund and build but the plan is to have it test run ready in 2 years

This is the sort of thing you might get a grant for, it's worth asking around to see if there are any grants or perhaps it can be done as a college project?

Could be hard for me to get a grant for it as a college project since I am studying english now and will be moving to law or sound technology in fall. Might maby be able to get some grants from companies working on eco-technology so that they could use it as a advertisment for theyr companies or to show that the electric car is an option...