Greddy 70mm Exhaust for CTR

DaveCTR

Car
CTR EP3
Hi I have put a Greddy EVO TT exhaust on my EP3 civic type R. I know it was designed for turbo or supercharged CTRs running 300BHP+ because of the bore size but I really like the sound so i'm using it on my relatively standard CTR with only this exhaust system and a tegiwa induction kit (cold air with proven gains realistically around 8 BHP) My car might be running around 210 BHP without being remapped, so far it doesnt feel any slower with my new greddy exhaust (the previous OEM pipe was only 2" bore compared to this 3") but as i've read that whilst it can increase BHP and high RPM this can be at the expense of low down torque. How much toque are we talking about and does anyone see this as being a problem?

cheers

Greetings and Welcome! ;)

For my twopence worth! That is quite a jump on the exhaust size and the Tegiwa induction kit I am not familiar with! But if you have gone to that much expense already, especially with a Greddy exhaust system, then you really need to book the remap ASAP to release the new performance potential. If this is not addressed, some additions can actually rob your car of some power not add to it!
Had the same thing on my car first off all and lost 11BHP before it was remapped again, and like you, I thought the car initially wasn't any slower!

Good luck with the future mods and keep us posted.

It doesn't sound like you've noticed much of a problem with it. On Honda's most of the power band is in the high RPM region anyway.

I presume you've kept the cat in place - this is likely the bottleneck which has probably remained the same so might explain why things do not feel radically different either way.

thanks for the response guys, I have noticed more when the engine is labouring like when at 40mph in 6th gear uphill, it feels like it wants me to change to fifth and requires me to push the throttle more but it has always been like this to an extent. but now its more noticable because the exhaust much louder.
I also think the car is more responsive and revs more freely and smoothly at higher RPM. today I went to overtake and dropped it into 3rd at about 60mph and when I put my foot down I was surprised how fast the revs reached the point where I had to change to 4th. In order words it seems to be faster when I really put my foot down.
I'm going to contact a mechanic technicial guy who tunes Hondata ECUs and ask him what he thinks about it.
I know my induction kit with only a 2.5" b pipe only would achieve between 220 and 230 bhp, closer to 230 if ran on VPower. I know this because its been done many times and i've seen the dyno charts, I just don't know what difference a 3" pipe would make.
I can't imagine it would gain extra BHP because the EP3 OEM backbox is proven to be non restrictive up to 300 bhp or so, i'm just hoping in real terms the extra 0.5inches doesn;t actually have a negative effect overall.

and yes it was sold to me as a cat-back, i dont know what that means but it appears it connects to the OEM cat which is still in place

thanks for the response guys, I have noticed more when the engine is labouring like when at 40mph in 6th gear uphill, it feels like it wants me to change to fifth and requires me to push the throttle more but it has always been like this to an extent.

Lol that's because it's a VTEC Honda and it's normal. You are seriously labouring the engine trying to drive uphill in sixth at 40mph with a torqueless K20, I'd consider adjusting your driving style or buying a diesel? I love most of Hondas Type R offerings and have come close to buying an EP3 more than once but out of VTEC they are shocking.

Lol that's because it's a VTEC Honda and it's normal. You are seriously labouring the engine trying to drive uphill in sixth at 40mph with a torqueless K20, I'd consider adjusting your driving style or buying a diesel? I love most of Hondas Type R offerings and have come close to buying an EP3 more than once but out of VTEC they are shocking.

yeah I know, 40mph in 6th is about the limit up a slight hill, but it can still pick up the speed. Its fine cruising at 30mph in 6th too on a straight and even road. Perhaps I will be using 5th more often though

Hi and welcome.

1/ You need to think about adjusting your driving style. 6th gear at around 40mph is way to high. To achieve performance you would ideally be in about 3rd gear at this speed, maybe even 2nd! So if you're just cruising try 4th.

2/ The diameter is a bit too big for the power, but you can rectify this as T9 has pointed out.

3/ You've made a good start (I used to have a Greddy on my Civic) so before going for a remap I would suggest an uprated manifold (a 4-2-1 set up may suit your driving style more) and a de-cat or sports cat.

yeah I was only talking about cruising, I dont expect any power at that speed. If anyone here has an EP3 they'd know it can cruise at 30mph in 5th quite easily and even 6th at 40mph aslong as its a straight road and not uphill. But those are about the limits before you should change down a gear
I don't want a decat but I may get an RBC and manifold as you described in the future
I do really like the Greddy, it's discontinued and i've only ever seen a few in the UK on cars. The exhaust tone is really deep and aggressive sounding