Grand Cherokee - Anyone had/got one?

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Looking to buy a Grand Cherokee soon, either 2.7 or 3.1 diesel, around 2000-2002

Some reviewers state that the 3.1 is 'clattery' and that the 2.7 is both more efficient and powerful.

Anyone had experience of these. Pros and cons. Fuel consumption? Chipability? Handling, comfort, reliability?

Thanks

Are you really asking about the fuel consumption on a Cherokee;)

I'm sure we've got a few members with those on here.

Besides my VR6, I have a 4.7 Jeep GC and we have had no problems with it.
Agreed, it is thirsty, but then based on driving style, wouldn't any car be? The comfort and performance, reliability and the bang for your buck are tremendous, and for us have far outweighed its running costs. Just make sure that you buy a good one, no or little rust. Good history, etc. Again, true of any car really.

Here is an Oz quote
"Can I get to the tip of Cape York in a Jeep ?"
"Yes BUT if you want to get back home then go in a Toyota Land Cruiser"

FYI The cape is the northernmost tip of Australia

The Jeep GC is like a blonde... nice body but no brains. I have a 2.7 CDI, [With the Merc 5 pot engine...] and only AFTER a total engine rebuild, did I remember to do the Pump and Injectors. Blew the budget on that one. Anyone got a fishing boat that needs an anchor? Now I want to dump an M113 - 5.0litre into that engine bay. Got a motor, but need a stand-alone EFI system. Can anyone recommend a decent one? By 'decent', I mean one that is not like a holiday in a minefield, that is surely going to cost an arm and a leg.