govt to look at raising the limit to 80.

It's not a bad plan to be honest. Some people's driving needs serious attention but they're probably the type's who never stray above about 55mph anyway.

I'd back it. but the police (esp. those in unmarked cars) rarely bother with anything that's not well into the nineties so perhaps we already have an un-official 80mph limit anyway.

The road safety lobbyists are already up in arms over it. IMO it will be a good thing, as has been said most people are driving at 80 anyway (if they can afford the fuel) and I'd be happy to see tighter enforcement of the 80 limit.

I would argue it is also safer as drivers will not be too paranoid about their speed and keep having to check their speedo.

They'll drop the local town speeds to 20 raise the motorway to 80 then decide the motorway speed is too high and scrap that plan!

If idiots take this as an incitement to speed then it will cause problems but the fact is that when the 70mph limit was proposed cars could generally only do about 70 mph and they had disc brakes as well!

I think you mean drum brakes. They also had crossply tyres. and cart spring suspension.

Problem is that there are now ten times as many cars on the road.

Variable speed limits (M25 style) would be a superb option for keeping traffic moving - no point in having a rigid 80mph limit if we spend all our time at 3mph. In busy times lower limits allow cars to travel more closely, thus increasing the roads capacity.

Yup that's what I meant, thanks HDI matey!

I like the idea of variable limits, if properly controlled. I do a fair bit of time on the M25 and if you stick to the limits in the main you keep moving along nicely.

This has actually been confirmed now. The Sun.

I hate the M25. The variable speed limits are annoying because they have avergae speed cameras as well, so if you miss one sign stating a different limit then you are screwed.

i think they should raise it most of world is above 70
it wont be any safer driving at 70 or 80 or 50 as its people not looking at where they are going that crash

100mph i say

80mph sounds about right and it will be good if/when it takes effect. Agree with HDi's comments about BRAKE. Have read very little about what they have done/proposed but what i have read smacks of nonsense.

I'd like to see 80 in the dry and it should drop to 70 in adverse weather conditions - a bit like the system that they have in France at the moment.