Good old tappets!

Hi there rudders, Good to hear from you again. First up when I get tappet trouble I do a full oil change and use an additive like Morays. In the case of Hydraulic tappets this sometimes helps. A lot depends on the car cost wise. Sometimes its easier to just get a recon head and have the benefit of that.

Do you know what the problem is? Is it just a rattle or have they got totally shot? Is it valve clatter or a bad valve spring instead of the tappet?

Hi Waynne,

I've had two oil changes mate and used additives. It rattles like a bitch after a hard run down a motorway. You can here it going "clack-clack-clack" under the bonnet. I've also found that if it's stationary and i depress the clutch and release it again it changes, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse, when worse it get's really loud and sounds like a flamin' tractor for christ's sake! Ridiculous! I got quoted for basically changing all of them which is apparently 24 and would take apparently 5 hours at a cost of £570! I'm taking it down at lunchtime to check how many are actually screwed as i know next to nothing aobut the goings on under the bonnet. Anything i should mention to them to check?

Well I took it in and apparently it turned out to be the clutch of all things! When depressed the noise stopped, when released it came back louder! Let's hope they get it right, if not they'll be fixing it properly for free! At least a clutch is a hell of a lot cheaper than tappets. Apparently my engine's "sweet as a nut" so that's good to know. I thought it was weird there being a problem considering how bullet-proof straight 6 engine's generally are.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back