golf conversion

DOM21

Car
volkswagen golf
hi everyone, i have a golf mk3 1.4 and i want to swap the engine and put a golf mk3 2.0 16v gti engine in my golf 1.4 does anyone have any advice for me????????? cheers :)

Hi Dom and a warm welcome to TorqueCars. You will also need to get the gearbox and ecu from the donor.

Your best bet is buying a mk2 2.0 with rear end damage and stripping it out. You will also need to uprate your front suspension and the brakes. Stopping it is essential. It sounds like a good fun and fairly straightforward project to me. Keep us posted with how you get on with it.

or even better try and get the suspension and brakes off from a 2.0 then find a 1.8t unit and gearbox.
the 2.0 in the GTI is rather ashmatic in ways and gives 110-115 bhp

Completely agree with pgarner, your best of with the 1.8 T engine, this can come from any of VAG cars all the same, easy enough conversion but i would advice sending the ECU off to be deimmobilsed. I have someone who does it saves a lot of hassle!!

if you do go down the 1.8t route have a look for the following engine codes

AUQ- 180 bhp
BAM - 210bhp or 225 depending on what it was in

or if your really lucky
BFV - 240bhp ( only found 1 on ebay and it was on an exchange basis without turbo )

chances are youll find plenty of the AUM 150 engines

hi and thanx for you advice about my conversion very much appreciated. if i was choosing the 2.0 gti i was going to use the ecu gearbox and brake discs from donor car but you advised me to go with 1.8T is that T stand for a turbo and where would it come from what type of car and how straight forward would it be? where do i find these engine codes and what are VAG cars and what is the purpose of deimobilising the ecu and how would you do this? im sorry if i sound simple etc but this is my 1st conversion and dont have much resources this is why i thought the 2.0gti engine from same type of golf would be easy. much appreciated if you could reply and help me :)

Yup the 1.8 turbo, came from the Mk4 golf and various seats, audis and skokas (main parts of Volkswagon Audi Group VAG)

the ECU has a code matched to it the engine clock (tacho etc on the dash) and the key. de imobilising it allow you to start the engine by touching the contacts.
it isnt the most straight forward swap because of this but the difference between 115 bhp and 150 minimum ill let you decide if its worth a little extra hassle. the engine has went into the Mk1 -3 golfs and a load of kitcars.

Enine codes should be on the cylinder head at the timing belt end

the 2 bigger code
BAM found in the audi TT S3 and the cupra R
BFV was a limited edition audi TT.
the AUQ engine was used across the whole VAG range.

where abouts you from

hi and thanx for replies gonna have a look to see what the engines are going for etc and im from wales originally but living in wiltshire.