golf 1.8t 20v

runz

helo im a new member and this is my first post i am goin to be modifying a golf 1.8t 20v and i want to know what is the best engine code you can get for parts. Im looking to get around the 400 bhp mark price for parts is n o matter as this is goin to be a project for me untill im 21 basically 2 years iss so i will buy parts over the months and years. Im looking to change every part to suite i.e. camshafts, valves, turbo ect. I want the golf to also be able to reach 10,000 rpm so i have a large power band i that possible and is there any kits that would even do this? i have already found an engine kit that will change somw of the majour parts like pistons, crankshafts, bearings and such so the engine will be able to take 500 hp with this but i only want the 400 well i say only lol but you see what i mean

hey and welcome mate

all the 1.8 blocks are more of less the same, however the earlier (think its the AUM code) had larger ports then the later versions.
as for the 10k rpm ive never heard of them that high. the highest ive heardof is 7600, this is supposed to be just short of 180MPH in 5th dont know what it would be for a later 6 speed model - please note that these attempted speeds should only be tried out on ether private roads or on a track.

Awesome and JBS both do major kits for the 1.8t, with JBS's biggest kit costing around £15k.

To get a high rev limit like that you would need to balance the engine and get it fully blueprinted. Your aim should be to maximise the standard power band. A big turbo, stronger internals, remap and breathing mods will get you to the 400bhp mark.

cheers guys and yeh im gonna be changing everything to suit ... i rember seeing a 10,000 rpm kit on import performance but it has gone now ... im still searching for it as we speek but i have not found it yet maybe cuz there isnt one i dont know yet. but i think im goin to twin turbo it im not sure yet i have got alot of time to do all this so i can experiment with different thikngs and cost isnt an issue when you love cars lol

I've been toying with the possiblity of a supercharger and turbo setup. This should address the low down lag. Trouble is I don't want to lose my aircon which makes it harder to fit in the supercharger. ;)

I've been toying with the possiblity of a supercharger and turbo setup. This should address the low down lag. Trouble is I don't want to lose my aircon which makes it harder to fit in the supercharger. ;)

i dont car about air con lol ill put ma windows down lol how would you do that i have never heard of that before ... i was thinking of having a supercharger because i love the sound of them the scream is amazing lol and are more reliable then turbos but its jus that they cost 3x more for the same kind of power as a turbo

i want quad exhausts aswell i seen a apr quad exhaust but that is for the mrk v and obviously im having the mk4 engine in it so i dont know where to find one i have looked for ages and just carnt seem to find one

I read on a forum about a 415bhp Mk VI golf that was built by noble motorsport. Alot of work done to it, including a full wrc spec anti-lag system which was neat. The turbo was a full insertion, oil fed etc, not just a bolt on number. Topped out at 174mph.
Said it was real quick off the line for a FWD car.
So it can be done.....dont no about the 10,000 bit tho lol ..

415 is low for it. Jbs is finishing off theyre 600 w/bhp kit. there are also race varients of the engines that are around 700. the 174mph is limited by the gearbox as thats 7400rpm

He was claiming it was one of the fastest in the uk. So by upgrading the clutch you would go higher speeds?
His was an AUG lump.

uprading the clutch is to handle the torque as the standard one will slip as theres not enough "bite" on it to hold.

it wont increase the engine speed that comes down to balancing lightning etc.

if your really lucky keep an eye out for the BFV engine 240bhp from the 1.8 however it is a limited edition so numbers are rare.

His flywheel was lightened and balanced.
See if you got BAM or BFV engine..is it pointless upgrading the internals. If you had that BFV lump with 240hp standard, what upgrades would you do?

if your going silly power ie 6-700 then going bigger cylinders is ideal.
theres alot running bores out to 1.9.

the flywheel must be balanced otherwise watch your engine fall to bits. i was on about balancing the rest of the engine. if you read the OP then you see he wanted to go up to 10k redline

Whats the most you could bore out this engine to?
How do you balance the engine? doesnt it get balanced before it comes out the factory?
Googled the BFV engine...comes out an audi tt. The spec for it is sweet.

yup limited edition tt, was there around 1000 built ?

dunno mate im not looking at going that far with mine id be happy with 220 and 250ftlb.
the engine is balanced to a certain amount at the factory but garages will get them more accurate by removing / adding small amounts of weight to the piston / rod / crank
Think of a fan, celing fan would be better, now put a small blob of blu tac on the edge of the blade - 10 grams even - and watch the vibration.

Well i checked up on it and it just said Audi TT Sport. It said it has a K04 turbo...but i put k04 into google and it said its rated for 225hp..how does that work out?
I would try it, dont think the guys in the office would be too pleased lol..but i understand what you mean.
Was reading about stroker kits...when i get my 200sx i was planning on boring it out to 2.2 with a stroker kit .. Can you do this with a golf?

dunno never heard of any for the golfs most are happy with the 1.8t or the v6 engines as even the 3.6 will fit into mk 1-6. stroker kits are usually along the line of shorter rods to increase the cc

yeah theres 3 main turbos used on the 1.8
K03 - used on the 150
K03s - used on the later 150 and 180 models (190 on audi quattro) this is a halfway uses some of the k04 parts within it
K04 - used on the 210 - 240 models

however theres quite a few variations of each of these

k03 is good for around 200
03s for VW recommend no more than 220. however alot of tuning companies say 240 then your pushing your luck
04 - 280

Yeh stroker kits keep the valves open longer so more fuel etc..incsrease acceleartion in the low and mid range..struggles with the high end.

Is it advisable to use the k turbos on vw or using a garret or summit other make turbo?

cams hold the valves open the stocker kit does the bottom end.

sticking to the OEM KKK is easier overall but if your after big power you need a big turbbo even the 04 is a relatively small one. downside is the major lag you get with the bigger turbos. hense why im not going to a big one. im looking at hybrid tops as i use it as a daily driver and arnt 18 anymore so dont drive around bouncing off the limiter as most around here want to

Fair enough, thought i was the stroker aswell.
Well how do these guys you mentioned earlier hit 6-700 without big turbos?
Well im 18, so i do do a bit of limiter bouncing. My 1.4 tops out at 118mph lol.

ohh they use big turbos alright. even the hybrid K04 is only good for around 320.

thats where the problems come from however, they become more undrivable as the lag is so great. the smaller GT28 is a common swap as garett do a direct fit version for the 1.8t. but theres folk that have moved to this from the K04 and found that the powers went up but the torques hardly changed and its more laggy when you put the foot down. fine if your racing it and keeping the revs high all the time. but for generally driving it was the near lagless from 2500rpm of the standard turbos that make them so drivable.

ie i can leave a 30 in 3rd gear at about 2400rpm, foot goes down and the needle goes from 10 in/mg to 10psi within a second and by the time your hitting close to 3000 it pushing you back.

I see what your saying..off topics off golfs, with my project car its going to be used at the 1/4mile, track and drift...so would i best be going for a big turbo or mid range with a quick spool?
Back to golf...to stop the lag couldnt you fit the wrc anti lag system like the golf i mentioned earlier.

you could but the anti lags systems usually work by continuing to inject fuel after the throttles been closed the hot exhaust gases cause the fuel to ignite and cotinue to spool the turbo. downside will kill the cat obviously and can also cause turbo damage.

drift id say smaller turbos working togeather would be better to increase the torque as this is what spins the wheels. in the 1/4 mile a bigger turbo as log as its spooled you wont have a big issue with the lags