GOLF 1.8 GTI MK4 AGN Ideas and Help Needed

GTIGUY101

Car
GOLF MK4 1.8 GTI
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of Golfs and have just puchased my first.At last. It's a 1999 1.8 GTI 20v non-turbo with 73k on the clock. Engine code is AGN.

I've had to sort quite a few probs on the car already, luckily I done all the work myself so saved loads on labour:-

All filters and oil.
Bosch Super 4 Plugs
Bonnet Latch
Rocker Cover Gasket
Coolant Temp Sensor
Oil Switch
New HT Leads

I still have some other things to sort:-

Back door lock pops up then straight back down again, could this be dodgy solder?

Electric mirror switch dodgy, when on left only moves left, when on right moves both :~ might jus leave this though, any ideas?

Hard to get into first gear, have to push gear lever hard to left then it goes in, Could this jus be an adjustment? Any ideas how?

I'm looking to improve performance, economy and later looks.

I'm considering fitting an ecotek device and a cold air feed.

Which is a good cold air feed to go for?

What mods enigne/body work well with this car?

Any help and advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GTIGUY

Hey and welcome to the site mate nice to see another VAG owner join us

Hi All,

I still have some other things to sort:-

Back door lock pops up then straight back down again, could this be dodgy solder?

Unsure mate might be worth pulling the door card and checking the connections, or getting the convenience module scanned for errors

Electric mirror switch dodgy, when on left only moves left, when on right moves both :~ might jus leave this though, any ideas?

Nope this is normally, you set the right one 1st and it moves the left by roughly the same amount, then you can fine tune the left. this also allows you to move the left one down to see the kerb when reversing - some other VAG cars had this as standard as soon as you select reverse then the mirror dropped down

Hard to get into first gear, have to push gear lever hard to left then it goes in, Could this jus be an adjustment? Any ideas how?

check the cables at the front, linkage might be worn
is 2nd hard as well ?
has the gearbox oil been changed in the 11 years ? could be this is gunked up

I'm looking to improve performance, economy and later looks.

improving performance on the 20v non turbo is pretty hard, the same as any NASP car. inprove the breathing then look towards internals - intake exhaust sports/ decat cams etc. otherwise look toward the turbo models. should be able to pick up a BAM engine and ECU for around the £2k mark - jump up to 210 bhp compared to the maybe 30bhp gain you might have gained by spending this on a nasp engine. unfortunately economy will go down

I'm considering fitting an ecotek device and a cold air feed.

DONT GO NEAR THE ECOTEK VALVE UNLESS YOU WANT A HARSHPING SOUND WHEN YOU LIFT OFF. IT DOES NOTHING ON A MODERN ENGINE

Which is a good cold air feed to go for?

Carbonio seems to get great reviews on the turbo models dunno if its avalible for the NASP might be as the engines arnt that different. otherwise have a look at my thread here ( it starts halfway down, the starts just for smoothing the box ) the 1st post that link should send you to is for the R32 parts for the snorkel, air dam and air duct. a small mod with a dremmal to make it fit. fit it along with a panel filter such as pipercross or green ( one that doesnt use much or any oil as this can damage the MAF)

What mods enigne/body work well with this car?

Standard seems to be
a) make it look like the anniversary model
b) make it look like the R32

not sure about engine mods on this model however

hope this is of some help

Hi mate good to have you with us. It does sound like dodgy connections to me. Break and make connections at both ends and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

pgarner thanks for clarification on the mirror thing.

It's only hard going into first 2nd is fine, I will check over the bits mentioned lock connections, linkages and gear oil and let you know the outcome.

Thanks for the heads up on the ecotek valve gonna stay clear.

Looks like I'll have to get Ferrari fast out my mind then, lol.

Am looking into the intake at the mo, thanks for the link might give that a try (what part number is that snorkel? Will it fit my car?) and am also looking at sport cats n full stainless system.

Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for advice thus far.

not 100%

does your airbox look like this ? think it properly will be as the blocks were more or less the same
2528680256_a22944b633.jpg

part numbers are as follows

1J0 129 609 G - Snorkel Pipe £24.45 ( big pipe)
1J0 805 962 GB 41 - Air Duct £10.56 ( tray that sits behind the lights )
1J0 805 965 EB 41 - adjuster £1.81 ( sits on top of the duct)

prices were when i bought then. might take a few days to get them in as they were originally for the DSG equipped R32. you will need to break a few rivets that hold the standard Duct on behind the lights. you will also need to remove the battery and tray, note that it is tighter to get back in.
and dremmal or hacksaw blade to make the snorkel hole bigger