Go faster toll roads

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Interesting developments are afoot with the proposal that private sector companies build toll roads alongside busy congested routes giving drivers the option of paying to use faster less congested roads.

Would this work? Would you pay to go faster if it only meant avoiding congestion? If these toll roads had an autobahn style speed limits would that interest you more?

Here are egsample from my homeland.
Before we build highways directing to the south of Croatia we got pretty congested roads during summer. After the highways are opened the congestion moved toward the highways. I still use old roads. I like to drive them because they provide great panoramas and they are quite curvie at moments. I am glad now people who do not like to drive can go to the highway and move out of my way! :lol:

Where would they put them though? There's enough resistance to building ordinary roads let alone new ones. I wish they'd extend the M6 toll all the way up though.

Who would pay for and maintain the sign's, lights, roads, markings and so on. Or would it be a do it yourself job?

The owners of these roads would have to pay the councils to maintain them. Thus making them a priority (as its a way of them getting more money) thus leaving the motorist who is happy to sit in a busy queue with a road that needs repaired.

I think it is robbing peter to pay pall to be fair. Not a fan of them. (Maybe because I live no where near Birmingham, Manchester or London)

I had this idea a few months ago! Who has been reading my thoughts??

Next they'll be stealing my other idea and start advertising on tanks to raise money for the military. Who wants to know more about my idea??

This still hasn't caught on or gone any further. It's a shame really.

It is merely wishful thinking TN - There is more chance of witnessing the Queen at a rave with a bottle of champagne in her hands giving it large on the dance floor :lol:

She did that last night.
Didn't you notice the disco light's coming out of buckingham palace last night?

Some say they could be seen from space. ;)

I Would not pay to use one of these roads #280 road tax is enough.
90% of my driving is done at none peak times so that does influence my opinion.
I also agree with TN about the inexperienced drivers.

She did that last night.
Didn't you notice the disco light's coming out of buckingham palace last night?

Some say they could be seen from space. ;)

Damn, I wonder if I can YouTube it :lol:

@ st24, I have no problem training on a course first if this would make it happen; my original thoughts still stand. The UK is so conservative that the odds of this being actually allowed to happen in my lifetime! Well! Where's my calculator ;)

@ st24, I have no problem training on a course first if this would make it happen; my original thoughts still stand. The UK is so conservative that the odds of this being actually allowed to happen in my lifetime! Well! Where's my calculator ;)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it could be for use for those who have done and passed the advanced driving test.
Although this could be difficult to police.