Getz fuel consumption

howardfn

Car
Getz 1.6 auto
Hi. New to these forums. Have a 2004 Getz Auto 1.6 and fuel consumption seems high - nearly 10l/100. Is this too high? Wondered whether flywheel slip may be part cause. Can I use thicker transmission oil to reduce slip? Any ideas to lower consumption? Thanks

How do you drive it? Have you done any mods like exhaust or air filter which make a great sound when pushed but obviously MPG will suffer. So drive it carefully but enjoy ablat once in a while on an empty open road.

When was it last serviced?

1, Is the thermostat correctly opening at the right temperature.
2, Are the wheel bearings in good condition if they drag it can cause a lot of friction
3, Tyre pressure - this can have a big effect on fuel economy taking upto 6 mpg if the pressure is wrong.
4, has someone attached a caravan or trailer to the back without you noticing.
5, Are the local kids syphoning off the Fuel overnight/do you have a fuel leak.

I've got the same one and the consumptions vary. It's usually around 7-8 l/100 km in mixed driving but after I moved to the city it gets to be around 10 in the wintertime. No mods at all and regular oil changes. Driving on the highway is usually better, can get it down to 4.5-5 but when driving in town I have about the same milage

Geo, it's no problem getting it under 7L/100km on the highway, just checked it in my car and the computer says 8.7 and that is all in town and snow for the last few days. It can easily get down to 5-6 on highways