Getting started with Tools

Hey guys,

So, Im wanting to get started on a project car in a few years time once I’ve done my degree so I’m gonna get started on collecting tools and accessories I’m gonna need for when I get started.

If anyone has any particular brands they want to recommend, specific tools that I’ll need everything like that it would be so helpful. I don’t mind paying a good price for a reliable, hard-wearing piece of kit.

Depends on where you are from as some makes are not available globally. I’ve collected a lot over the years. Impact sockets (6 sided) for some heavy use. One of my first socket sets was Kamas, over 30 years later I still have most of them. Some Snap-On tools, Halfords professional. As for what tools? Well I’ve been on the tools since 1981 and still buying them! What level of work will you be looking to do?
  • Socket set comprising a mixture of 6 &12 sided sockets in 1/4” and 3/8”.
  • Set of metric spanners 8mm up to 19mm.
  • Ratchet spanners are useful.
  • Set of punches and decent hammer.
  • Set of Allen keys including ratchet driven ones.
  • Ball joint splitter.
This list can go on and on to be honest.

Depends on where you are from as some makes are not available globally. I’ve collected a lot over the years. Impact sockets (6 sided) for some heavy use. One of my first socket sets was Kamas, over 30 years later I still have most of them. Some Snap-On tools, Halfords professional. As for what tools? Well I’ve been on the tools since 1981 and still buying them! What level of work will you be looking to do?
  • Socket set comprising a mixture of 6 &12 sided sockets in 1/4” and 3/8”.
  • Set of metric spanners 8mm up to 19mm.
  • Ratchet spanners are useful.
  • Set of punches and decent hammer.
  • Set of Allen keys including ratchet driven ones.
  • Ball joint splitter.
This list can go on and on to be honest.
Cheers for that mate, yeh i can understand that its never ending process on buying tools etc, there's always something you don't have.

I have found the professional kit from Halfords for £250. I'll keep all that in mind.

For the type of work i'll be doing, at the start it'll be basic replacing parts.

Hi Anthony there are some great fully loaded tool boxes at low prices available these days and if possible buy a workshop repair manual as they should have all the info needed to help with any difficult mechanical problems you may encounter.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back