General Module Issues

projectbimmers

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ti m44
Heres an issue im into now. So I hav a project e38 740il that im just starting to work on. When I bought the car a few things werent working, windshield wipers being one of them.

I did all of my troubleshooting and found the issue was a damaged general module. Turns out the general module controls several things other than the windshield wiper like central locking, interior lights, rear windows etc. None of those functions worked when I got the car either. Makes sense now.

The module itself and the harness needed to be replaced. I sourced out the harness pigtail and a replacement module from a same year and model from Ebay.

Fast forward, I soldered in the pigtail harness and replaced the general module with the ebay one and now the car wont start. The car wont even start with the original general module plugged back in either. The car cranks but no start. Doesnt sound like its related to fuel, crank or spark. I believe I have triggered the EWS security system to lock me out.

I dont want to bring this to the dealer because im afraid theyre going to charge way more than what this car is worth. Anyone familiar with INPA for BMW? Can i sync this general module to the car and sort this issue out?

Do door locks work? If not have you gone through the key reset options, there are a couple of methods.

The immobilizers are a pig to get around, a replacement ECU is often used in these case but I think you were thinking of going that route anyway.

Have you tried both keys? It will be annoying if it's just a broken keyfob causing all of this.

The ECU doesn't work unless the immobiliser is happy if i recall on these. Everything needs to be matched up when you change modules out. Try the key, as Waynne said it's sometimes the obvious easy things.

Can you rip out the internals and swap them over, its likely to be a chip or PCB.

The ECU doesn't work unless the immobiliser is happy if i recall on these. Everything needs to be matched up when you change modules out. Try the key, as Waynne said it's sometimes the obvious easy things.

Can you rip out the internals and swap them over, its likely to be a chip or PCB.
I will try the key programming. I read up on that as well.

It was my first time using this program and I must admit I am not as computer savvy as I would like to be. I have a lot to learn but I'm ready for the task. I was able to locate the faults in the EWS that are causing the no start issue. I dont really understand what the mean so I ran them through Google translate and saw that the tolerance with key number 1 increases. Whatever that means. Also that the key is invalid due to incorrect identification. Tolerance increases in key number 6 as well. Makes sense but I'm not sure exactly how to correct the situation.

The EWS is not detected as virginal. I'm guessing the car isnt recognizing the EWS as original anymore? That sucks. I have to look into the syncing procedure. My gut is telling me its that!IMG_20200909_232720_125.jpg

I'm not sure what this page means but I'm posting it to see if anyone has any idea.

I will keep at it and let u know if I come up with something. 20200909_201454.jpg

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back