General driving standards

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think of the current driving standards in your area?

Are there any particular times of the day or types of vehicle which has particularly poor driving standards?

Locally I think mornings are worst with school run drivers being the worst of the batch.

About the same as here then, I agree with you on the school run thing....I personally think they should have Yellow buses like in the U.S or walk, as when its half term or holidays its really unbelievable how clear the roads are, does every parent have 6 weeks off in the summer because if you go by traffic and flow it seems they must do....soon as the hols end its grid lock again!!

agree with hdi Poor observation

had a little ka pull out on me the other day and then just go so slow i nealy smashed into the thing
but people are not looking and driving standards are getting a lot worse

in comparison to Vietnam it is a real pleasure to drive in the UK, most people are courteous and the flow of traffic, lane discipline etc... is just awe inspiring compared to here. In fact met a guy from Malaysia recently who studied in the UK and his comments were that the defense driving style practised by UK drivers is in a class of its own compared to alomost all other countries - having been back in the UK recently a bit surprised by this but in reality believe that at a general level the standard is quite high.

I don't think we do so bad but there is always room for improvement.

Some foreign coaches I've been on were shocking! I heard of one where the driver was using the hand brake to stop it because the main brakes were out. This was along a mountain route with some nasty drops.

In my area there's a load of old people and their driving is friggin shocking, really pisses me off. They cut corners like nobodys business, you have to really be on your toes when you approach a junction around here.

The standard that you have to be at to simply pass the test is a lot higher than many other countries, some peoples driving is obviously appalling but in general i feel much safer driving in the UK than i do abroad. my theory is that although most drivers are of a good standard, since the UK is so overpopulated you end up seeing the bad ones a lot more frequently, you dont remember the good drivers, only the ones who endanger you

I don't think we do so bad but there is always room for improvement.

Some foreign coaches I've been on were shocking! I heard of one where the driver was using the hand brake to stop it because the main brakes were out. This was along a mountain route with some nasty drops.

If that was Malta, the busses there date from the days when there was no such thing as a footbrake.

Any maneouvre was preceeded by a "Hail Mary".

todays driving is shocking,since someone decided it would be a good idea to reverse out of the petrol pump straight in to the side of my car.Since then i have been observing peoples driving more an more and some of it iv seen is bad.Im no angel,but some people are just poor.

todays driving is shocking,since someone decided it would be a good idea to reverse out of the petrol pump straight in to the side of my car.Since then i have been observing peoples driving more an more and some of it iv seen is bad.Im no angel,but some people are just poor.

Sadly the same level of inattention applies when cars are driven at main road and motorway speeds. The stakes are much higher in such situations.

It's actually not bad round my area, apart from the small group of kids with (badly) modded cars people are fairly cautious :)