gearbox

dizz

Tuner
Car
hyundai coupe turbo
hi, can any1 sugest the best gear box to go on my 2.0 dohc? also gear ratios and where to get them etc???. im doing well with this engine so far started preppin it now and got my mates dad on the case of chroming the rocker cover :D.

Thanks

Get a 1st and 2nd from an MG Montego or Maestro third as it is and 4 and 5 from a Turbo. I think Quaife do a good diff as well for the 2.0's

kool thanks, is that in the standered box ? or would i be better off getting the turbo box and changing that? dont spose you no wat speeeds you can get outa that gearing do you ?
thanks

A turbo box is probaly the best bet and then lower the first and second gear ratios. The standard turbo 1st and 2nd are MUCH longer than a standard cars so they must be switched. I can't remember the gearing in my 220 too well now it was something like 25 in 1st 45 in 2nd which were lower ratio - the turbo box was 35 in 1st and 60 in second. Standard is around 30 in 1st and 50 in second.

wooo, how come in the 1.4 you can get 30 in 1st, and about 65 in 2nd? do you no wat the top end you can get with the 220 engine and gearing like that ?.

Having higher gearing will increase the flat out top speed but it will take longer to get there so in gear acceleration in 4th and 5th is slightly slower but you will not notice that and you will appreciate the additional fuel economy you get.

On a track you will get around 145 in 5th gear on a 220 the theoretical maximum is nearer 150-160 but with drag and other factors you will be using all of your torque to get beyond 135 and it will top out at 145 unless you have tweaked the engine a lot.

The 1.4 boxes are quite weak in comparison and probably will redline at 30 in 1st. A standard 220 gearbox is not far off the 1.4 speed/gear figures either but is much stronger.

oo that makes sence lol. kool wat sorta top speeds do you think ill get with lightened flywheel, fast road cams, gas flowed head and straight thru stainless exhaust as well as this gearing?. i no thats sorta off the subject sorry lol ive gotta get this going faster than my mates dads scooby he wants a race wen its done at a track lol.

It's not the top speed it the acceleration that counts! :wink:

Have a play with my BHP calculator for a really rough ball-park of power gains for most mods then you can estimate your 1/4 mile times from weight and bhp - I think the car weighs around 1200 kgs depending on how full the Ashtray is :eek: .

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/index.php

ahh just done that calc thing, think im gunnenr need to do some serious tuning to beat the scooby lol. can you bolt a smaller turbo to this engine like off of a starlet or summin without it breaking ? or is that just pointless lol

The engine CR is too high for any kind of forced induction. If you get the 220 Turbo lower compression and forged pistons fitted you could then add the turbo to your engine.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back