gearbox problem civic 1.6 sport ivtec 2004

allsystems

Wrench Pro
Car
civic 1.6 ivtec 200
Hi,
recently bought a civic 1.6sport ivtec. Car has been running smooth no engine issues at all. Recently iv been having problems with gear changes,the gear changes are really notchy,not all the time,just sometimes,like when im overtaking 1st and 2nd myt be fyn then it will "clunk"into third, or 1st will be fine then it will clunk into 2nd. I bought the car from a friend and he did tell me that the gearbox issue is common on these hondas and also that the gearbox would go after a few months and would need refurbishing.At the moment i dont have the money to pay for this reconditioning. What i have done is found some good quality gearbox oil as he said he has never changed the gearbox oil and the person who had it before him has never done it either. The problem is I cant find where to put the gearbox oil,i have downloaded some manuals but cant find where to put it. I have attatched a picture of the engine bay and circled the box where i think it goes into,thing is though the screw is really gone on this box and i need a special spanner to open it. I would appreciate if someone can give me a copy or a diagram where to put the gearbox oil. Also if you can point out where power steering fluid goes that would be helpful also

fbe9e755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey & welcome to the forums. :D
You post got held up because you tried to add an image. As rule new members are not permitted to post images & links until they have contributed at least 10 posts. Please don't post any more until you have reached 10 posts, it won't take long to rack em up :)
Why not say hi here to begin with. :D

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f45/

PS, for some reason your photo would upload properly so I've added it through my Photobucket album instead.

Oh & btw, don't put any gear box oil in that bit you've circled, that's not were it goes.
Your gearbox will be to one side of the engine underneath the car, look for where the drive shafts come out.
I recommend you buy or borrow a Haynes manual before changing or topping up any fluids.

One of the guys on here will be able to give you some more info or your VTEC soon though. :)

Last edited:
hello.thanks for the reply bro. 8 have found out tht the box i circled is the resonator box. 8 have found a video on youtube showing how to do it for a car exact same model as mine. 5hing is he jacks up the car to drain the gearbox oil,is there anyway i can just suck it out using a pump?

iv already got a fluid extractor pump very similar to tht but where am i supposed to suck the oil from without jacking the car up?

there should be a 17mm bolt about 10 oclock from you pass side alxle is your fill plug and a 3/8 rachet bolt at 6 oclock which is your drain plug ...your extractor pump is usless for this application....lol i.ll post pics as soon as i can for you

splashofpaint you mate are a legend :) that is exactly what i was looking for,il jack the car up on saturday and sort it out.the ebrake we call it handbrake,would that be affected by putting in new gear oil?im gona change the brake fluid and also flush the coolant tank.last question do you know how to do that?