gearbox choices

Gangsta

Tuner
Car
750IL 300bhp/450Nm
Hi

what 'box choice would be better for drifting - in an ideal world.

a) a close ratio box, so that maximum power get transmitted to the wheels for maximum 'spinnage'

b) a long ratio box, so that only first (and mabey just the start of 2nd) get used to eliminate changes, and rely on big engine power to spin the wheels.

thanks

Graham

well if ur car does not have alot of power i would recommend a short gear box because thats pretty much the only way to keep the revs high. and vise versa

pretty much having long gears and an engine powerful enuf for them makes it so much easier to maintain variety of speeds for drifting

well if ur car does not have alot of power i would recommend a short gear box because thats pretty much the only way to keep the revs high. and vise versa

pretty much having long gears and an engine powerful enuf for them makes it so much easier to maintain variety of speeds for drifting

What he said.

I dont understand why a short throw gearshift would make any difference to your transitions?

I was just thinking that a short shift cuts down the gear shift time allowing smoother delivery of power. If you don't have to change down mid transition I agree it is a moot point but every little helps. (Some cars already have a pretty slick gearchange so there is not a lot of point.)