Gear shift indicator

MondeoST220

Wrench Pro
Car
Mondeo ST220
Hi guys
Is there anyway to convert a non electrical H five speed changer on a front wheel drive car to give an electrical indicator of what gear your in, the gear changer that is in at the moment supplies the gearbox via cables.
Or is there an after market complete gear changer unit that would work, room is not an issue as the insides have been removed from the car.

Cheers
Paul

You could fit a tachograph with a shift light set to a specific rev per minute point, they have these in race cars to aid the driver in changing up before the red line. I've also seen an amber/green/red light system used to indicate change points at certain RPM.

However you really want to see what gear you are currently in, and it will not be easy to detect the chosen gear unless you fit a couple of Microswitches to the shift lever housing. Detecting left/right and top/bottom should suffice so two switches on each axis would probably do the trick.

A digital dash may be able to work out speed/rpm and indicate a gear, but this will take a lot of working out unless there is an out of the box kit you can use.

If there's an out of the box then that would do, but is there such a type.
The reason for doing this is that I need to keep the torque low in the first and second gear but the ECU won't know what gear it's in.