Gear changing shortcuts

wolfmankurd

Track Warrior
Car
Renault Clio 1.2
I've noticed changing out of gear doesn't need the clutch (there is no crunching sound) is this okay or is it doing silent damage?

Also, in the higher gears I can get by with only a dab of the clutch if I time it properly or none at all. This has got to be bad should I stop this? Don't want to wreck my instructors car he's a nice guy.

It should be fine if the engine is neither pulling or retarding. You can change completely without the clutch if you match revs accurately. But what's the point when modern cars have very light and well cushioned clutches.?

If you really want to avoid clutching the buy an automatic car.

what hdi said

in one of my old vans very rare used the clutch at all only for slow speeds and pulling away as long as you get the right speeds it will mesh in together ok

best way is a auto

Going down the box without a clutch is fun; it's like double declutching without the clutch pedal :-( but can be done.

Pointless though, with the plethora of 6 speed (and more) automatics available it has to be better to buy a machine designed to be driven without a clutch.

The traditional power and torque sapping torque converters are disappearing fast now, thus leaving the driver a complete choice of driving options.

to be honest wolfmankurd if i were u i would just drive using the clutch at all times....u sed its ur instructors car? well get out of the habbit of doing that cos the examiner wont be too thrilled if u did that on a test...........oh n if u dont match the revs correctly u may completely naff up ya gearbox, not worth it.

When my clutch went I was forced to drive without one, it takes practice but can be done, higher gears (4th and 5th) are more forgiving.

Whilst you practice thought you can expect to wreck your gearbox and syncromesh!

It does no damage to my knowlege taking a car out of gear without dipping the clutch.

It's not so much cause I don't want to use a clutch as I got away with it. I'll save practise for when I have my own gearbox to wreck :D

i dont know for sure but i know they implement them on the new VW golf as an option and theyre supposed to be awesomly crisp and quick on the change up or down. thats all i know on that one mate im sure turbonutter, wayyne, masterauron or HDi fun will be able to be a lot more specific!!

Direct Shift Gearbox.

In plainer English, semi-automatic gears (paddle shifters).

as said direct shift uses 2 clutches.

i used to use the clutch in my prelude only for taking off just a case of finding the sweet spot to change gear

i dont know for sure but i know they implement them on the new VW golf as an option and theyre supposed to be awesomly crisp and quick on the change up or down. thats all i know on that one mate im sure turbonutter, wayyne, masterauron or HDi fun will be able to be a lot more specific!!

The DSG system uses two clutches to drive the final drive and roadwheels through a six speed box. The box is similar to a traditional manual 6 spd box, and still relies upon selector forks and levers to achieve gear selection. These are operated by servo motors, rather than directly by a mechanical linkage.

The clever bit is that is has TWO clutches, both automatically operated when either the driver, or the ECU, demands a change. It is intended to be used as a sequential box, namely no block changes, although these are possible.

I think it works on the principle of having two gears engaged simultaneously and disengaging one clutch whilst simultaneously engaging the other clutch, thus engaging the next (higher or lower one) gear.

The changes are fast and seamless.

Rob Bentley has a Passat equipped with a very much more sophisticated variant of this system - he should be able to tell us of the very best aspects of this type of transmission.

ive learnt not to use a clutch before, handy in case of emergency
certain revs allow this

its easy to change up gear, a little difficult gearing down, you reay need to know what rev you need to do this

as for damaging it, if your spot on everytime, i wouldnt worry, but your not going to get it right all the time,

as i said, handy trick to know if your clutch or any cylinders went

ive learnt not to use a clutch before, handy in case of emergency
certain revs allow this

its easy to change up gear, a little difficult gearing down, you reay need to know what rev you need to do this

as for damaging it, if your spot on everytime, i wouldnt worry, but your not going to get it right all the time,

as i said, handy trick to know if your clutch or any cylinders went

You will never need this in emergency - Hondas are amongst the most durable cars on the planet.

lol, thats why i love them

in saying that, went the master cylinder went in the prelude, 2 year ago i got it towed
couldnt take the chance with the m/t gearbox, their like hens teeth, their not available easy

It would be a shame to bugger up a nice car. It's not as if Honda shifts are slow anyway, there's nothing to be gained by not using the clutch.