gear box and car rating

rastinrastini

Car
not
Hi All
- can rate to gearboxes? in which attributes of it? size or gear or whatever?
- what is difference between cars have lower torque and higher rpm with cars have higher torque and lower rpm?
- motor round in dashboars is rpm?
Thankful.

Hello and welcome to Torquecars!!!!

Are you thinking of the gear ratios.... the differences between input rpm and output rpm? Gearboxes allow us to trade torque for RPM and the other way round.

- not gear ratio. rating gearboxes for example gearbox size has any efficacy over torque or top speed?
- if an car 1 has 200 torque in 2000 rpm and 500 hp in 9000 rpm
and car 2 has 500 torque in 5000 rpm and 500hp in 7000 rpm.
then whats difference of these cars in speed and accel? specifically in drag racing.

i think this may be a translation problem because you cannott say from a 2000 rpm reading what an engine will produce at 5000rpm and it is perfectly possible for one car to do both of those especially if it has a turbo.
in fact my stagea probably does

so you have supplied two links for new one off cars and expect us to know what the drag times are.

If you cant get the answer from honda and ferrari then Im afraid few other will be able to help.Besides the rules about torque and power and times are going to differ between an electitc car and a petrol one

I dont understand where the gearbox comes in either but as I said before thats probably because of the translation . happy to try to help but need to understand the question

Sorry for my bad english.
1- i dont want drag time. I wanna know what is differences. For example maybe ferrari in first gears goes faster but in gear 5 6 and 7 its accel goes down. Think about speed curve from start to top speed.
3- somebody tell like this. American cars have higher torque and lower motor round. But ferrari have lower torque with higher motor round.
2- i want to build an drag car game. Wanna to have car formula complexities in game. Like toruq and wheel size and wheight and ... . if you have any suggestion please tell me about it.
Thanks for helping.

sorry but drag calculations are very complex indeed People have written complicated programs but the detail required to get even close o the right answer is huge.
and that doesnt take ino account the driver which can be worth a lot.

Hello.

By drag racing do you mean with normal cars or drag racers? Drag racers are unlike any normal car, you couldn't drive them normally. They're built for one thing only.

I am guessing you are talking about a straight sprint from 0 to a certain distance and whoever crosses the line first wins?

With normal cars also it would depend on the distance. Over short sprints torque is less important than power. The 0-60 times of cars depend mostly on power and weight, so for instance with two cars of the same weight and power, if one is natural and the other is turboed there wont be much difference in 0-60 times.

Also important is what wheels are driven, wether you can get the power down easily. A very high powered front wheel drive car might lose a short distance race against a lesser powered all wheel drive car because it couldnt put all its power down initially but would catch up over the longer distance.

Hi All
- Spleeper thanks. i want to understand calculations and place few or lot of them symbolically in game then users can use it easily.
- Yugguy very thanks for this answer. only normal cars. guessing for distance like 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile.
- what is high powered and lesser powered wheel? is it bigger in size or another thing?
- dont understand power and torque. dont torque increase power of motor to higher rate? i thought that torque force wheels then engine power goes to max. is it wrong?
Thankful.

thanks for answers.
one another question. if we have these two parameter:
Displacement: 232 cu in, 3799 cc
Power: 562 hp @ 7400 rpm

what is formula get hp from displacement and rpm?

There isnt one . it depends on the design of the engine

The only formula which exists as a constant is power and torque and thats only at a specific rpm

Everything else is variable.

mate you will find that the car in the picture, to put it simply, has Too Much Grip. what i mean is the tyres have gripped the tarmac so instead of the wheels turning and moving the car forward, the car has used the tyres like a pivot point and lifted the entire vehicle around that point. both the torque and the power of this vehicle are high and are the result of many years of research, development and testing, they are not something that can be just slapped together in a weekend. the effects of grip is what is called movement, in a vehicle you are trying to get centrifugal forces turned into forward or backward motion and this is what grip is, too little grip will result in wheelspin, too much grip and the car moves in the easiest way, like the picture. hope this helps you a bit :)