gauges

andyalbone

Track Warrior
Car
Honda Integra dc5
which are the most important gauges on modified cars boost, oil temp and so on?

i see some cars with around 5-6 is that just for show or do you actually have to have that many?

Depends on what set up you're running. You can have gauges for practically everything. I'm going to use boost and air fuel ratio gauges with my supercharger.

They used to be known as worry gauges. Way back we used to make do with oil pressure, water temp and fuel gauges. However, my Elan ended up with these plus oil temp, amp, and volts. Nothing else to monitor in those days of N/A carbed engines.

You don't NEED most gauges. Oil pressure and water temp are the most important IMO. On a forced induction engine a boost gauge is useful but not essential (they weren't even fitted to Sierra/Sapphire RS Cosworths, only the RS500s) but the rest range from helpful to simply bling.

Last edited:
Depends on what set up you're running. You can have gauges for practically everything. I'm going to use boost and air fuel ratio gauges with my supercharger.

That's exactly what I have in the beast! Although I am thinking of buying a combined Stack AFR and EGT gauge to take the place of the current AFR.

Are they all neeccessary on a untuned na engine mostly not.
One thing for sure if they are not accurate they are close to useless (such as a boost guage with 3 metres of pipe connecting to the guage.

I blew my engine up because i didnt know there was a problem . It cost me money i now dont have so now i have 6

the egt is probably not that useful
oil pressure definately
oil temp = the right way to know when the enigne is up to operating temp
fuel pressure - ok it just sits at 3.5 but any fuel problem means running lean which is critical .
boost - essential on any tuned turbo car IMHO
water temp -also pretty useful i would say

Guages can also give other info - mine are electronic and can show peak reading and do a 30 second palyback. Plus I can use them as a warning . They can be programmed to flash and or sound at any reading as a warning.

Might have a look at the oil temp and pressure sleeper, never really gave these a thought before now!

I may be able to wire up the oil temp gauge that the M3s have in their cluster. The wiring is available for 6 pots, but not sure if it's there for 4 pots.

My 406 2.2 HDi had oil temp gauge as standard. This was quite an education for me and demonstrated how fierce turbo engines can be with oil temps. Especially after remapping it showed how crucial it is to allow engine cool off after driving swiftly

Noooo, it's waaaaayyyyy cooler than that. :amuse:

It's something I've been musing for a few years, I think I'll do it this year. ;)

I like mystery's :blink: maybe I can help you with a patents pending if the idea is any good! ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back