Gallardo or R8

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Which is the better buy the Gallardo at around £145k or the R8 V10 at £125k.

Both share the same V10 engine although the Gallardo is 550bhp and the R8 runs a little less at 525bhp?

i would have went for the R8, is this audi FINALLY releasing the V10 engine. garages were taking orders for this as soon as the rumours started.

if they are the same engine i wouldnt be suprised if companies, even audi themselves, offering the Lambo map

I think the R8 is cheaper to run on a daily basis and more practical (did I really use that word) the Gallardo still has the image and prestige so it depends what you are after.

If you can remap the R8 to Gallardo power then there is no contest at all in my mind.;) Not that i'm biased or anything!

I think the Gallardo is definitely flashier than the R8. I see at least one R8 every week. I know 3 people who have an R8.. one of them is only 18. But I only know one person who has a Gallardo.. and he's the only person I've seen driving one!

c'mon what sounds better to some fine piece of ass.....oh i have an audi r8 then trying to explain to her its got the same engine as a lambo,all she hears after audi is blah blah blah blah blah like that dumb dog off simpsons.....or I HAVE A LAMBO,ITS OUTSIDE NOW,ITS BEAUTIFUL NOW GET YR FINE LITTLE ASS IN THERE AND GO TO MY PLACE LMAO.

c'mon what sounds better to some fine piece of ***..oh i have an audi r8 then trying to explain to her its got the same engine as a lambo,all she hears after audi is blah blah blah blah blah like that dumb dog off simpsons.....or I HAVE A LAMBO,ITS OUTSIDE NOW,ITS BEAUTIFUL NOW GET YR FINE LITTLE *** IN THERE AND GO TO MY PLACE LMAO.

My kind of guy..... I like this fella....;):bigsmile:
Couldn't of said it better myself...

Last edited:
Cheers TB69,ha ha someone has censored ass in the last line.....but has not in the first line doh! is that you wayne lmoa

I think the Gallardo is definitely flashier than the R8. I see at least one R8 every week. I know 3 people who have an R8.. one of them is only 18. But I only know one person who has a Gallardo.. and he's the only person I've seen driving one!

May I ask what (or who?!) the 18 year old does that has landed him an R8?!

Well Audi own Lambo as you may know. Since owning Lamborghini the quality of the cars has moved from kit car to Audi standards. The R8 and Gallardo share a reasonable amount of parts but I can't remember which! They look different enough not to worry about the technicalities though I suppose?

Well Audi own Lambo as you may know. Since owning Lamborghini the quality of the cars has moved from kit car to Audi standards. The R8 and Gallardo share a reasonable amount of parts but I can't remember which! They look different enough not to worry about the technicalities though I suppose?

Thats my point buddy Audi own them now so the build quality and reliability must be improving.

If i had enough money to buy any of them i wouldnt worry about which one would cost more to service etc, but id go for an audi R8!!

I've driven an R8 not a lambo on the road, you have a big feeling when your in the R8 that it is an audi not a super car as far as the styling goes. It's a nice car but not mad or flash enough to be called a super car.

Lambo spyder version all the way tbh.

Things have changed now the V10 R8 has arrived. The cars are a much closer match than they ever were. The Lambo still has the exotic charm and supercar carachter plus supercar running costs and the R8 is positively an affordable bargain supercar which will suite as a reliable daily driver with lower running costs.

I'd probebly go for the R8 because less people would try and "key" the side of it and you would look less of a cock....mind you I would preffer the v8 one to the v10 just because it sounds better.....and if they made the v12 diesel then I'd go for that over the other 2.....a race proven engine(yes I knwo it's a diesel but you can't deny teh several victories its had a lemans) in one of the best supercar chassis ever made....sign me up for that...

Things have changed now the V10 R8 has arrived. The cars are a much closer match than they ever were. The Lambo still has the exotic charm and supercar carachter plus supercar running costs and the R8 is positively an affordable bargain supercar which will suite as a reliable daily driver with lower running costs.

When you have the money to afford a supercar and you want to buy one because of it's practicallity and affordability you need to buy something else and get your head checked at the same time.....

I couldn't care less if it does 4 mpg on tick over...i couldn't careless that it will probebly set my on fire while doing just 70 mph on the motorway....there dream cars that are ment to be used on special occations....I would try and drive one everyday but then it wouldn't be special anymore....to have a blast in it say once a week just for the hell of it, jsut because you want to drive it makes the car special....I would think about all of these things when buying any supercar.....for me....it's how it's make you feel that makes a supercar special....o and it has to have a manuel gearbox....lol

When you have the money to afford a supercar and you want to buy one because of it's practicallity and affordability you need to buy something else and get your head checked at the same time.....

I couldn't care less if it does 4 mpg on tick over...i couldn't careless that it will probebly set my on fire while doing just 70 mph on the motorway....there dream cars that are ment to be used on special occations....I would try and drive one everyday but then it wouldn't be special anymore....to have a blast in it say once a week just for the hell of it, jsut because you want to drive it makes the car special....I would think about all of these things when buying any supercar.....for me....it's how it's make you feel that makes a supercar special....o and it has to have a manuel gearbox....lol

Here Here. A man with some sense. ;)

Gallardo all the way - when your talking these kind of prices, whats 20k.

And i love looking like a cock - i really dont care what other people think of me, if they say anything then "Look mate, i'm driving a lambo so **** ***, bye!"

i am going to be awkward as usual, i have to say i do like the r8's just something about them especially in black and white. i am going on a track day in one of them, i let you know what there like lol

Hi
Just thought i'd share my experience since I went from a v8 r8 into a gallardo spyder.All my coments are based ont he manual versions of these cars as I don't like the auot/sequential boxes)

The r8 (and I drove the v10 which is basically exactly the same but faster and not as nice sounding as the v8) is by a distance for me the best everyday sportscar.I was a porsche man but the Audi makes the 997 look crap(except the gt3) .It has a magnificent chassis, proper do what you want with it,superb build (the only new car I have ever bought that did not have a serious issue ),outstanding running costs for the type of car (I had it 3 year,1 service £400 and 4 tyres),very comfortable and if you don't have kids you could easily manage with it as your only car.Oh and it gets huge love on the road,everyone loves it.
As much a s I loved it,my work means I cannot turn up in such a flash car,so I decided to have a less conspicuous car for work and to get a real exotica to use when time allows.I drove everything ,and have to say the v12 vanatge,th e 997gt3 and the ferrari 430 were all superior drives to the gallardo in pure drivig terms,but to my eye the gallardo (especially in spyder form which is what I got) is just gobsmackingly beautiful ,I do just go down to the garage and stare at it sometimes.It also did something that none of the others did which is,it makes you laugh,watch either of clarksons reviews on you tube,he has it nailed on perfectly,you get in it drive off and smile.The noise is astonishing,although I do usually prefer the sound of a v8,and it gives you a feeling no audi,porsche or the like can do,its hard to explain but it just feels special.On the downside ,it has the turning circle of the qe2,the ride is incredibly hard ,it guzzles fuel at about 10 to the gallon and costs a fortune in servicing and maintenance.I bought one a few years old so hopefully the running costs will be offset by the big decline in depreciation (and a lot of gallardos have been shipped abroad from the uk so supply is really short).
If you need one car,the r8 is the one to go for.
If you can afford to run 2,get a gallardo and a.n.other car.

Hi
Just thought i'd share my experience since I went from a v8 r8 into a gallardo spyder.All my coments are based ont he manual versions of these cars as I don't like the auot/sequential boxes)

The r8 (and I drove the v10 which is basically exactly the same but faster and not as nice sounding as the v8) is by a distance for me the best everyday sportscar.I was a porsche man but the Audi makes the 997 look crap(except the gt3) .It has a magnificent chassis, proper do what you want with it,superb build (the only new car I have ever bought that did not have a serious issue ),outstanding running costs for the type of car (I had it 3 year,1 service £400 and 4 tyres),very comfortable and if you don't have kids you could easily manage with it as your only car.Oh and it gets huge love on the road,everyone loves it.
As much a s I loved it,my work means I cannot turn up in such a flash car,so I decided to have a less conspicuous car for work and to get a real exotica to use when time allows.I drove everything ,and have to say the v12 vanatge,th e 997gt3 and the ferrari 430 were all superior drives to the gallardo in pure drivig terms,but to my eye the gallardo (especially in spyder form which is what I got) is just gobsmackingly beautiful ,I do just go down to the garage and stare at it sometimes.It also did something that none of the others did which is,it makes you laugh,watch either of clarksons reviews on you tube,he has it nailed on perfectly,you get in it drive off and smile.The noise is astonishing,although I do usually prefer the sound of a v8,and it gives you a feeling no audi,porsche or the like can do,its hard to explain but it just feels special.On the downside ,it has the turning circle of the qe2,the ride is incredibly hard ,it guzzles fuel at about 10 to the gallon and costs a fortune in servicing and maintenance.I bought one a few years old so hopefully the running costs will be offset by the big decline in depreciation (and a lot of gallardos have been shipped abroad from the uk so supply is really short).
If you need one car,the r8 is the one to go for.
If you can afford to run 2,get a gallardo and a.n.other car.

Welcome to the forum buddy.

A Gallardo franki68? you lucky man! :bigsmile: would prefer the R8 given the choice myself, then have it shipped off to Heffner Performance in the States to do their magical work on the engine! Aah, we can all dream! :bigsmile:

A Gallardo franki68? you lucky man! :bigsmile: would prefer the R8 given the choice myself, then have it shipped off to Heffner Performance in the States to do their magical work on the engine! Aah, we can all dream! :bigsmile:

I really don't see the point of the R8. It's basically a Gallardo in different clothes.
I just wouldn't be able to justify the 100 odd grand for an Audi.
I'm sorry but I just don't see the point.

I really don't see the point of the R8. It's basically a Gallardo in different clothes.
I just wouldn't be able to justify the 100 odd grand for an Audi.
I'm sorry but I just don't see the point.

Well TN, I agree with you, up to a point! I've driven both on two Experience days at Silverstone and for me the R8 just pips it! The Lambo screams more and gives you a huge buzz! but in my own opinion the R8 "should I ever have to struggle with a choice decision between the two in real life" is just a little more of what I like in a Supercar!
It just ticks all the right boxes for me! ;)

Each to their own TN :bigsmile:

Well TN, I agree with you, up to a point! I've driven both on two Experience days at Silverstone and for me the R8 just pips it! The Lambo screams more and gives you a huge buzz! but in my own opinion the R8 "should I ever have to struggle with a choice decision between the two in real life" is just a little more of what I like in a Supercar!
It just ticks all the right boxes for me! ;)

Each to their own TN :bigsmile:

Yep exactly. It's just not for me. I'd have the Gallardo.

I did lightly mod the r8,I had a milltek exhaust (oh what a sound,simply magnificent)and a revo technik remap power went from 414 up to about 445 bhp,it was an excellent remap.
I will probably get another r8 at some point,it's magnificent as I said,and realistically a better car than the gallardo,

Nice to meet you Franki68. What were your experience with the Audi and Lamborghini dealerships? I imagine they were quite different?

Nice to meet you Franki68. What were your experience with the Audi and Lamborghini dealerships? I imagine they were quite different?

Well I only had the r8 serviced once so my experience was limited.And lamborghini,only used so far on a warranty claim ,I am having the car looked after by an independant garage so not sure how much of the lambo dealer I will see.

I bet the independent garage is quite happy to have charge of a Gallardo. Makes a change for them from the AMG Mercs and Porsches they must see much more frequently.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back