Galant 2.5 V6 induction kit / exhaust?

northern jim

Car
2002 Galant 2.5 V6
Hi, I recently bought a Galant (having been tempted by an Evo for the past year), and am a little dissapointed at the fairly poor 160hp it has!

Have already upgraded the brakes, and am now looking at either an induction kit (heard Blitz made good ones?), or a tuned exhaust. Are there any generally used types for increasing performance? I've found that the performance is ok above around 3500 revs, is there anything I can do to increase low end power? Also wondered what the chances of fitting either a single turbo or the VR4 Twin turbos were, is there room!?

Cheers,
Jim

hey and welcome jim.
wouldnt advise fitting the twin turbos however you may be ok with the single one running low boost without having to do any internal work.

an induction kit and exhaust might give you around 15bhp on a 2.5.

Hi Jim and welcome to TorqueCars. Due to the high compression on the engine you will have trouble running a turbo. As PG suggests you might get away with low boost.

An engine swap is your best bet in terms of cost and power gain. Get an old EVO engine, get it reconditioned and drop it in. You'll have an amazing Galant them. (Alternatively the VR4 engines are very sweet if a little rare!)

Great, thanks for the advise. Think I'll have a go with the induction kit etc, and consider an Evo engine next year. Would I need to change the gearbox to handle that, and would the clutch cope? Would the Evo engine just bolt in place or would I need to have it fitted?

Cheers
Jim

Had a little look on ebay this morning and there is a few 2.5 Twin Turbo VR4 engines for less than a grand and they include the loom, ecu, all pipework and radiator. If you want to look at dropping a turbo in in, it would be like as Waynne said, it would be far cheaper just to drop a whole engine in as the VR4 is already set up for accomodate the 2 turbo's piping etc. Just turboing a normal car can get expensive unless it's a low pressure turbo (waste of time if you want bigger power gains) as you will have to replace pretty much all of the internals of the engine to take the extra power.

The Jap Imported version of the VR4 has 276 bhp standard and can easily beat a 3000/GTo which is bigger in engine size and power lol. iirc the Galant is 0.3 seconds quicker to 60mph than a 3000 GTO.

As far as using the Evo engine, it would be a good choice but will probably give up the ghost far far quicker than the galant engine as the torque of the Evo engine would be pushed to it's limits to move the weight of the Galant as Evo's are a good 250-300kg lighter than an Galant. Where as the 2.5 is more suited for the car if that makes any sense lol.

Worth looking into that mate ;)

Last edited:
The Jap Imported version of the VR4 has 276 bhp standard and can easily beat a 3000/GTo which is bigger in engine size and power lol. iirc the Galant is 0.3 seconds quicker to 60mph than a 3000 GTO.

With all due respect etc, that is about as close to being a fact as gordon brown is to being an honest man.
We have modded a few Galants and yes they are a nice quick car but quicker than a GTO, no mate, not on this planet anyway.
I have no doubt that it is quicker than an N/A GTO, most things are. Quicker than a T.T. nope.

With all due respect etc, that is about as close to being a fact as gordon brown is to being an honest man.
We have modded a few Galants and yes they are a nice quick car but quicker than a GTO, no mate, not on this planet anyway.
I have no doubt that it is quicker than an N/A GTO, most things are. Quicker than a T.T. nope.
T.T gto 3.0 and they are 4 wheel drive yes???
ive raced 1 before in the prelude, it was probably you, it had a uk reg

anyway just so people know how quick they are
i was wining til the turbo lag weared off and then it dissapeared out of thin air, they are quick, very quick, and ive raced a subaru impreza turbo and he was only like a few feet away from me

both these races were from a rolling start at 70 mph
funny because the imprezza thought he was mad waveing goodbye out the window but then saw i was still with him, but that gto, we done a 1 2 3 go on the dual carrigway and he was so far ahead, i couldnt see if he was waveing or not

curiosity CB, what bhp are they??? thanks mate

The GTO T.T. is stock @ 280 b.h.p. The GTO N/A is stock @ 225 b.h.p. but the N/A comes in manual or auto version, the T.T. is only available in manual.
Yes they are all four wheel drive, except some versions in the States where they have a front wheel drive model but they are a real base model type, i'm not sure on the spec of them though so can't really comment, we just don't see them, fortunately.
Most GTO's are also 4 wheel steer, some are only two wheel steer. The chassis i.d. is the answer to that part, a Z16A chassis is four wheel steer, a Z15A is two wheel steer, o.k. getting boring now. :lol:
I'll leave it there as it's really a Galant thread.

Last edited:
A little bit off then was I ? lol I knew It wouldn't be exact but I just used a little bit of info taken from letstourquebhp.com

Obviously I couldn't give accurate info exactly as I've never had one, but surely it can't be that far off what that website says??

Please fill us in ;) I'd like to know myself ;)

Cheers for all the comments; but on a slightly different note, took the car for a drive today and noticed that the gears felt odd. Specifically, either shifting up or down into third especially feels very stiff, and sometimes makes a horrible graunching noise. Syncro-mech?:( Also struggles to go into first even from a standstill unless i blip the throttle a little...

Thanks,
Jim

Cheers for all the comments; but on a slightly different note, took the car for a drive today and noticed that the gears felt odd. Specifically, either shifting up or down into third especially feels very stiff, and sometimes makes a horrible graunching noise. Syncro-mech?:( Also struggles to go into first even from a standstill unless i blip the throttle a little...

Thanks,
Jim
i have that problem at the moment, checked the level the other day and it is low on gear oil, so pg could be spot on
change the oil and get slick 50 gearbox treatment for it too,
i used it before and it worked wonders

Could also be a sign the clutch is on its way out. You don't have thick car mats do you? Try it without the mats in and see if its better?

well hello all im in the u.s. and i have a mitsubishi legnum 2.5 vr4:) hehe yeep it was not easy! well ne wai now that i have the car, do you guys have any web sites where i can get some parts like suspention and exhaust and gaskets and stuff like that? please help me... thank you