Furtherst you have reversed

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the longest distance you have reversed your car? Are you any good at reversing?

I counted about a mile when a nervous driver was unable to squeeze through a gap left by a bus, so he made me reverse up to the previous junction.

I got there quickly and gave up waiting for Mr Nervous to reverse as he was wondering all over the road and kept going forward to straighten up! So I pulled a U and found another route.

No idea on distance but reversing doesn't phase me at all, I tend to scare most people as I can control the car better than most folk can going forwards!

Now, watching people reversing with a trailer or caravan, now that's a right laugh! 6 years of towing racecars taught me plenty!

Not very in my case, I try to avoid reversing if possible because I hate it.

I'm extremeyl good at it and can thread vehicles through very tight gaps.

I can also reverse with large trailers.

But I sill do not like doing so

Last edited:
umm, about 20-30 yards in my instructors car, about all of 5-6 feet with leg power on my bike.

About a mile too!
Working on the railway means some accesses are only as wide as one van & have no turning points. Although fortunately there aren't many. But as a result reversing anywhere is not a problem for me, nor is turning round in confined spaces (well confined for a LWB van anyway!) :lol:

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone else has been following 'Ice Road Truckers' recently, but in one episode where they were moving a drilling derrick using two 8-wheel flat-beds, back to back, the guy in the rear truck had to go backwards for 50 miles. Of course, he "only" had to steer as his truck was in neutral and they had the width of northern Canada to play with!

50 miles going backwards can actually make you really car sick. I remember a journey where I was in the back of a van for over an hour! Not a good one!

About 1/8 of a mile. I'm much better at doing multi-point turns than I am reversing!

I accidently did a J turn in Mrs Twamgl3's car the other day. Which would have been fine. If she wasn't in the car. I think she secretly enjoyed it though becase she only told me off a little bit!

Unsure of the longest distance but I don't mind reversing at all.
But who looks over their shoulder and who uses the mirrors?
Me personally use my mirrors.

Longest distance for me was about a mile. I had to back an Isuzu NPR with an 18 ft bed loaded with about 2 tons of sand and 2 tons of rock and about half a pallet of concrete mix along with being attached to a 22 ft trailer with a T-200 bobcat and six attachments and enough post and fence wire to put up 8000 ft of Chainlink fence. The hardest part about all of it was that the road was loose dirt the whole way.:blink: