Fun Cars that sip fuel.

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
Seeing as we've got a bit of a fuel theme on the threads I was wondering what (real world) cars might we be gravitating to when our wallets are feeling the pinch.

My first nomination is the brilliant Fiat Panda 100hp, it's no rocket ship but it's universally accepted as a very entertaining car to drive. :D

Pug 205. lotus elise, 306 dturbo, fabia vrs (apparently), origional mini, Back to the Future DeLorean (Runs on horse doo!)

Seeing as we've got a bit of a fuel theme on the threads I was wondering what (real world) cars might we be gravitating to when our wallets are feeling the pinch.

My first nomination is the brilliant Fiat Panda 100hp, it's no rocket ship but it's universally accepted as a very entertaining car to drive. :D

A Fiat Panda 100hp! Snooooooooooze time! well that's my afternoon nap sorted out, cheers Loz! :lol:

Lol! My work here is done.
th67ae4988.gif

If you want the car to handle like a blancmange then that's the way d to do it. :p
To lower a Metro/100 properly you need to de pressurise the displacers then remove the rods and shorten them. Then reassemble and represssurise the displacers to the correct pressure.

I've seen metros that have had all the fluid removed and their just riding on the bump stops. Not safe at all! :lol:

Last edited:
If you want the car to handle like a blancmange then that's the way d to do it. :p
To lower a Metro/100 properly you need to de pressurise the displacers then remove the rods and shorten them. Then reassemble and represssurise the displacers to the correct pressure.

Yeah thats the right way...
I was on about the Ghetto way.:lol:

Geriant they'll never find me.:lol:

Fiat 500 Arbarth.

Also Lotus are worth mentioning, they are pretty quick and grippy and because of their low weight return good MPG (not amazing but good.)

What about the Golf GT Tdi - 60+MPG on a remap to 190bhp!

waynne werent they 130bhp standard, thats hell of a gain, from a remap :)

This particular one was 150bhp pre remap so a 40 bhp gain is reasonable. And it was more economical after the remap.

The BMW 330D also deserves a mention for being fun, powerful and economical!

I think if it comes to me having a micra or a panda I'll just walk everywhere or get a bike. Or just use my other plates too fill up & not pay. Seems to be happening more & more these days, in my area anyway.

Over 60% tax on fuel is a joke!!

Last edited:
My local garage is closing down, He makes 2.1% profit on fuel (Texaco)and from that has to pay business rates, wages, tax etc, He is actually loosing money by being open. My £20 made him 40p. Most retail business make 40% on top Feel sorry for the chap. Someone wants to buty the garage to develop but it was built years ago before planning permission and now won't get permission to develop......

My local garage is closing down, He makes 2.1% profit on fuel (Texaco)and from that has to pay business rates, wages, tax etc, He is actually loosing money by being open. My £20 made him 40p. Most retail business make 40% on top Feel sorry for the chap. Someone wants to buty the garage to develop but it was built years ago before planning permission and now won't get permission to develop......

That's a real shame :sad2: In this day and age of silly forecourt pump prices, you would never have dreamt that a petrol station would go out of business :amazed:

The BMW 330D also deserves a mention for being fun, powerful and economical!

I think I will have to have a problem with that statement. My experience with BMW is that they brake down constantly. Personally I have never owned one but my friends who have all had some mechanical problems with them.

My Getz 1.6 works wery well when in the hands of the right driver. Fairly good grip on the roads and a great fun in the snow and on gravel or dirt roads :D and only sips around 5L/100 km in highway driving.

BMW's cars are robust and, as such, are good 2nd user purchases.

Like any car, they need servicing, but it's not as pricey as you think.

Parts (from dealers) are incredibly good value and you shouldn't need many if you keep the servicing up to spec and do it in a timely fashion.

Too many people fancy the idea of a BMW keyring for all the wrong reasons.

Too many people fancy the idea of a BMW keyring for all the wrong reasons.

couldnt agree more!

some people still see the bmw badge as a sign of wealth/status! but the bmw badge lost that status in the early 90's. along with there build quality reputation imo. i feel exactly the same about mercedes!!

bought my beamer as my last one was reliable and it was a good purchase imo.
much prefer my current to my 318i but thats my personal experience.
most people i know who have owned second/third/fourth owner BMWs have had little or no problems.

They are pretty dependable cars - @ Geraint.

@herb - BMW build quality is as good as ever. What seems to be missed is that there was a veritable revolution during the mid/late 1990s when the build quality of mainstream brands improved massively, effectively closing the gap which previously did genuinely exist.

In today's market there's no reason to automatically order a new BMW over a new Ford or Peugeot, for example.